Thread: Finally Friday

1. #1 Finally Friday 
    Power CUer
    I'm in a little late this morning after a car drop-off, to see why the a/c isn't working, and to have them do something about it.

TOTD: Are you "good" with cars? Do you know how to do much maintenance on them yourself? I take mine to the dealership for everything. I turn the key and expect it to start and take me where I want to go. I don't want or need anything from a car except that, and I have virtually no interest in them beyond that.

Banned
    Foggy here in Southern New England and just a bit cool. After a very successful week with this new client on a very time sensitive engagement, I'm working from home and looking forward to a jaunt over to the pub around 2:00.

TOTD: Are you "good" with cars? Hahahahahaha! Not a skill I've ever tried to nurture. I am adept at turning them on and off, however, and at avoiding them whenever possible.

I'm glad it's Friday. I'm finishing up a pesky project at work and then getting ready to host a big party on Sunday. Happily, temps will remain in the low 80s for the weekend.

TOTD: I did almost all my own work on my cars prior to the chip era. I spent many a miserable Saturday wandering around U Pull It places searching for replacement alternators or whatever. Once the chip thing got going and I started buying much newer cars, I hung up my timing light and never looked back. Aside from brushing snow off the thing, I don't do anything to it including pumping gas. If he doesn't want a panicked phone call to interrupt his gaming time, Mr. Snaps knows that gas pumping is his job. :)
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 08-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Drilling and tapping a 7/16-20 hole in the end of my newly rebuilt 283 SBC tomorrow morning so I can mount the new harmonic balancer. Getting ready to do the final assembly of the engine and transmission shortly. Logan said he'd help Grandpa.

TOTD: What’s a dealership?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Drilling and tapping a 7/16-20 hole in the end of my newly rebuilt 283 SBC tomorrow morning so I can mount the new harmonic balancer.
    I don't know whether to say "I'm sorry" or "Congratulations!" "Tomorrow morning" was the only concept in that sentence I completely understood.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't know whether to say "I'm sorry" or "Congratulations!" "Tomorrow morning" was the only concept in that sentence I completely understood.
    1961-1967 Small Block Chevy’s (SBC) didn’t have a hole in the end of their crankshafts to draw on and hold on their harmonic balancers.

The harmonic balancer’s cancel harmful frequencies that cause your engine to beat the living Hell out of itself. In the old days - people just beat these units on the engines - and sometimes broke the block casting (or made them leak) by doing so.

I just spent $1,500 having this engine machined and don’t want to do that, so I’m drilling and tapping the crankshaft end, so I can use a tool to simply draw the part on to it. It’s a press fit - so it goes on with great difficulty if you simply try to go cheap and beat it on.

In other words - a little machining for easy serviceability later on. ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned - Not really Theo
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    TOTD: Are you "good" with cars? Do you know how to do much maintenance on them yourself?
    I do it all myself unless I feel like not bothering. I have access to most special tools I need and when I don't, I have a mechanic who works for me who will do it for free if I buy the special tool and give it to him afterwards.

I really don't like working on A/C systems but I do enjoy the detective work involved in ferreting out electrical gremlins.
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-08-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    It's been thunderstorms here all day. I'm going to curl up with a book tonight.

TOTD: I know absolutely nothing about cars.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    TOTD: I know absolutely nothing about cars.
    And they thank you for that. :p

TOTD: Yes and no. I mean, when I had my first car, a VW Rabbit, I learned how to change my own oil and did that a number of times. I know the basic parts and how they work, etc. I can do basic maintenance, but I am by no means a mechanic.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature