Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Croatia: Government moves to legalise incest 
    Croatia: Government moves to legalise incest

Zagreb, 27 May (AKI) - Croatia is drafting a bill to legalise incest between consenting adults in the predominantly Catholic country, local media said on Thursday. Under the draft bill, adult sexual relations between brother and sister, father and daughter and mother and son would no longer be a criminal offence if they are entered into voluntarily.

A group of prominent jurists, professors and lawyers were working on the bill, but it was too early to say whether, or when, it would be tabled in parliament, Zagreb daily Vecernji reported.

“It is an open question whether the time is ripe to free adults from criminal responsibility for such behaviour,” said doctor Velinka Grozdanic, a member of the task group.

But Ksenija Turkovic, a Zagreb University law professor and head of the group, said that legislation in many European countries was moving towards legalising incest.

She said incest has been legal in France for over 200 years, but recent legalisation moves in Germany have failed.

“If an adult brother and sister willingly indulge in sex, who is the victim that should be protected,” Turkovic asked.

“There is no victim, only public morality is violated."

Prominent Catholic commentator Zivko Kustic said that the abolition of punishment was not necessarily tantamount to approval.

“One should make a distinction between punishment and approval,” Kustic said.

“If the state decides not to punish something, it doesn’t mean that it considers it good or decent."
    ADNkronos

She said incest has been legal in France for over 200 years, but recent legalisation moves in Germany have failed.
    That goes a long way to explaining the French people.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    That goes a long way to explaining the French people.

It's kind of a european thing. Just remember, much of Napoleon's army deserted him and many of the french soldiers decided to settle in the Balkans, Alps or some other point in between Russia and France, and intermingled with the people in those areas. So, there's probably still a way to blame the french for this.

Prominent Catholic commentator Zivko Kustic said that the abolition of punishment was not necessarily tantamount to approval.

“One should make a distinction between punishment and approval,” Kustic said.

“If the state decides not to punish something, it doesn’t mean that it considers it good or decent."
    This is something so many people in this country cannot seem to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    This is something so many people in this country cannot seem to grasp.

I haven't heard of too many prosecutions for consensual sibling incest, between adults, in this country.

We still have the right to shun them.

I don't just mean on this issue. But the standpoint that people say "IF WE DON'T EABSOLUTELY PROHIBIT AND STOP X, THEN WE ARE ACTIVELY SUPPORTING AND CONDONING X!!"

I hear it all the time

mostly on moral issues in this country

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I haven't heard of too many prosecutions for consensual sibling incest, between adults, in this country.

We still have the right to shun them.
    They belong in a mental institution in my opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    They belong in a mental institution in my opinion.
    Why? If their relationship is consensual and there is no harm done, why should they be placed in a mental institution?
    While I do love the field of psychology, I feel we over diagnose people and mental institutions have the danger (I'm not saying they are used this way, but CAN BE due to their unique position) of being used as repositories for ''unwanted'' people. Adults who have consensual incest aren't harming anyone and are just acting out their sexuality in their own way, but were it up to people like you they would be remanded to a psychiatric hospital, essentially a prison, because you find it ''icky.''

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I don't just mean on this issue. But the standpoint that people say "IF WE DON'T EABSOLUTELY PROHIBIT AND STOP X, THEN WE ARE ACTIVELY SUPPORTING AND CONDONING X!!"

I hear it all the time
    That's funny, I don't here that and I spend a lot of time in places that you would probably expect to hear it all the time.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis