1. #1 Energy bar maker told her product is 'candy,' subject to tax 
    by JAKE WHITTENBERG / KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on May 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Updated today at 5:47 PM

BELLINGHAM, Wash - Imagine Mary Goit's surprise. After seven years of manufacturing granola and natural energy bars, the State of Washington tells her she is actually making candy.

"How do all natural ingredients in an energy bar make candy?" says Goit. "I don't get it."

Goit owns "Belly Timber," a manufacturing kitchen at her home in Bellingham. Her company advertises 'all natural gourmet survival bars' and sells them to area grocery stores.

"Our motto is 'Ingredients with Integrity,'" she says.

But she just found out from the Department of Revenue that her product will be included in the new state 'Candy Tax' that will go into effect Tuesday. State and local sales tax, which is not applied to food in Washington, is being levied on candy and gum starting June 1 as one of the taxes to help close an estimated $2.8 billion gap in the state's biennial budget.

The department was ordered to come up with a list of taxable candy before the tax takes effect. But it's harder than you may think to determine what is considered candy and what is not. For example, a 3 Musketeers bar is considered candy and will be subject to the tax. A Kit Kat bar will go tax free.

The determining factor? Those that use grain-based flour aren't candy under the new tax law. Goit uses oats in her bars as opposed to grain.

"This law is way off base," Goit says. "Our product is for athletes and health advocates. We don't make candy."

VIDEO at LINK
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Granola bars give you hairy legs. Just sayin'

of course it couldn't happen to a better type of person in this case . . . .

Don't ever google hairy legged hippie chick with safe search off! My eyes my eyes!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Don't ever google hairy legged hippie chick with safe search off! My eyes my eyes!:eek:
    ROTFL! GOOD! You deserve it!! :p

There are two problems here: government is punishing people for food preferences and government is laughably attempting to make the punishment "fit the crime".

Granola, "energy bars", and all that stuff really is candy in the sense that it's made with a lot of sugars but so what? There are probably some obese people who overeat granola but I'll bet there aren't many.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There are two problems here: government is punishing people for food preferences and government is laughably attempting to make the punishment "fit the crime".

Granola, "energy bars", and all that stuff really is candy in the sense that it's made with a lot of sugars but so what? There are probably some obese people who overeat granola but I'll bet there aren't many.
    You do shave your legs don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You do shave your legs don't you?
    Ever been to Europe?:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand