1. #1 DUmmies piss on dead Veterans. 
    howard112211 (552 posts) Wed Jun-02-10 05:18 AM
    Original message
    Am I alone here? I find a memorial day that singles out Americans offensive.
    Edited on Wed Jun-02-10 05:18 AM by howard112211
    Especially during times where America is engaged in wars of aggression. Why? Because it is an affront to the victims of America, if they are left out of the commemoration. The soldiers that died on the "highway of death" for instance, didn't choose the policy either. Plus the act of killing them indiscriminately is viewed as a warcrime by many experts. So why are they not mentioned on memorial day? Making the argument that soldiers should be commemorated independent of what the orders are which they were following, since they didn't choose them, is certainly a valid point of view. But if you single out a specific group of soldiers and not mention the others, you are elevating the sacrifice of one group, and thus diminishing that of the other group. Thus the argument becomes hypocritical, since it is not the soldier per se which is being commemorated.

Would we see it as offensive if Germany introduced a day celebrating the memory of their "fallen hero's" of the second world war, that did not mention the victims of Germany, the soldiers of the "other side" and the fact that Germany started the war? Probably yes.
    LAGC (688 posts) Wed Jun-02-10 05:19 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. Shut up and support the troops!
    Memorial Day really irks me too.
    jobycom (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-02-10 05:47 AM
    3. A nation has to form a cult around its military if it wants to be a militaristic nation.
    Memorial Day isn't so much about our fallen, it's about creating a cult of worship and idolization around the idea of the military, to romanticize and glorify it. If you tell an 18 year old to sign up to become cannon fodder and die for a politician they probably wouldn't vote for anyway, the 18 year old is going to act like any sane person and refuse. If you tell that 18 year old to join an elite corp of heroes who will forever be immortalized as the bravest and the best America has to offer, you'll get a less sane but more desired response. If you create a cult around America and all its symbols, and demonize the enemy as a threat to family and friends and God and everything else, the 18 year old will be chomping at the bit to become one of those heroes.

Nationalism, patriotism, worship of the uniform, and immortalizing of those who die in war are all tools necessary to convince anyone to go to war. Label anyone who rejects those fake ideals as traitors and abettors of the enemy, and you stifle most resistance at the same time. Sparta did it, Rome did it, the Soviet Union did it, Japan did it, we do it...

I don't mind a holiday to honor our fallen. They deserve the honor. I despise the people who politicize it, though. They use the sacrifice of our military to wave flags and romanticize war and criticize those who work for peace, and by doing so they spit on the graves of the people they pretend to be honoring.
    Smarmie Doofus (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-02-10 06:02 AM
    5. I cannot *stand* the holiday.
    For all the reasons you mentioned plus the mindless bloviating of the media and the conflation of the "honor the dead" with "support all things military". Witness all the moronic air shows and the like that categorize the celebration of the holiday around the country.

The holiday was created to honor the dead; not to mythologize them.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x8467874

THEN GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY COUNTRY YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE FUCKNUT BASTARDS! I don't put this uniform on every day for your thanks, but it makes me sick to my stomach to think that I could give my life one day for you wastes of sperm.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Wow. Just when I thought these DUmmies couldn't get any DUmber.
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Guy View Post
    Wow. Just when I thought these DUmmies couldn't get any DUmber.
    They can always get DUmber. They prove it hourly. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    They can always get DUmber. They prove it hourly. :D
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.:D
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan

It is the Soldier, not the minister
    Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
    Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
    Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
    Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
    Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
    Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
    Who serves beneath the flag,
    And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Copyright 1970, 2005 by Charles M. Province
    ...something always worth remembering...

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Ah the party of open mindedness is at it again I see.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Moonbats have stupid notion which they have never surrendered after all these years.

Moonbats think people will just love them if threat them like sh*t 24/7
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

I support any holiday that gives me a day off!

Seriously, though, I opposed the invasion and war in Iraq. I think it was a bad decision politically and morally. That said, I still want our troops to be successful there and help the Iraqi people establish a functional government and society (although the latter is not up to our troops).

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the comments over there, but how can anyone object to honoring those who sacrificed their lives while serving their country? When I think of some of the horror stories I've been told by vets over the years-especially Vietnam Vets (I was a kid at the time, their stories left an impression), I can't see how the dumbass DUers could say those things.

Military service would do some of those basement dewellers over there some good. At least they'd be earning some money. I'm not so sure it would be good for the military, however.

Defending the rights of these fools at DU to make their assanine statements.

We don't memorialize the policies of the government, we memorialize the lives of those who answered the call of our country to carry out the will of "We the people".
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Ugh... Makes me wanna take my work shoes off and throw it at 'em. Soldiers are some of the best customers I had, and not just for $$. If I get a soldier, chances are, I WILL get be treated like a human being, compensated generously for my time and for the 2-3 hours he is there, have a fucking GOOD TIME at work. It is rare when a group of soldiers doesn't mean $$ for all and an semi-orderly night. I've talked to soldiers coming from Afghanistan and Iraq and they make me grateful to be a woman in this country and I try to make them as grateful for my company. I've even kept in touch with some outside of work simply because . . . it's the human thing to do. I and some other dancers have sent flowers anonymously for one guy who died.

And I'm not the only person in the adult industry that feels this way. Clubs constantly waive admission or give a free drink to the military. It's not just good business sense, it's an act of patriotism . . . or something. :p

I swear. . .DU seriously defies logic.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.