Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Yeah, I think making guns extra, extra, extra illegal instead of just extra, extra illegal would have prevented this. I mean passing one more law against this behavior would have most certainly avoided this travesty right?

This guy roamed around for 3 hours, killed 12 people and wounded 25. 3 hours! All in one huge nationwide gun free zone. Not a one of his victims ever had the chance to choose to defend themselves simply because some bleeding heart beatniks decided that every subject-citizen was too untrustworthy to own a firearm. It's a shameful thing.

I don't support gun control, but with the guy driving around, I'm not sure an armed citizen would have done much good in this case, unless he is a very good shot. He covered a fairly large area in his car, too.

The british should be prepared for this type of thing, though. People go nuts once in a while, no matter how strict the gun control laws are. I know they are not an evil people by nature, like the austrians :D,but
    they need to be prepared to take out the wackos when necessary.

Turns out he had licenses for both firearms, so predictably the press is going nuts, saying that the already strict gun laws should become yet stricter.

So far, the new government has not jumped on the bandwagon ... Cameron actually said that there should not be a knee-jerk reaction by lawmakers.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't support gun control, but with the guy driving around, I'm not sure an armed citizen would have done much good in this case, unless he is a very good shot. He covered a fairly large area in his car, too.
    It really depends on the skill and confidence of the citizen. Cars have tires and a radiator, both are large targets, and a hit to either would have taken away the vehicle advantage. Also, despite what Hollywood likes to portray cars aren't anywhere near bullet proof, so the driver side door would have been an obvious point of aim. My point isn't that any citizen could have stopped him, or that an armed society would have brought this to a close sooner, I'm just angry that no citizen had the option to defend himself.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Turns out he had licenses for both firearms, so predictably the press is going nuts, saying that the already strict gun laws should become yet stricter.

So far, the new government has not jumped on the bandwagon ... Cameron actually said that there should not be a knee-jerk reaction by lawmakers.
    This is good news indeed. At some point, governments must realize that laws cannot stop violence, only people can stop violence.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Sonnabend
    Does anyone else besides me get that had these idiotic gun laws been LESS strict, this lunatic would be dead? The laws state the gun has to be locked up at all times, the ammo elsewhere,, the bolt elsewhere..so the moment he took it out he was breaking the law...where were were the cops?

Hamps..I give it a few days before Cameron caves and starts with MORE gun laws...maybe even a complete ban on private gun ownership.

And then when the next shooting happens,...what the fuck will he do then?