Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Another Democrat admits Obama White House offered jobs to 
    Another Democrat admits Obama White House offered jobs to get him out of Senate race

Democratic Senate candidate Andrew Romanoff, who is challenging incumbent Sen. Michael Bennet in Colorado, said late Wednesday that deputy White House chief of staff Jim Messina said he could be given one of three high-ranking federal jobs if he gave up his candidacy.

Romanoff said he was told by Messina that two high-ranking positions at USAID and the director’s position at the U.S. Trade and Development Agency “might be available to me were I not pursuing the Senate race.”

The U.S. Trade and Development Agency director’s position would have been a post in charge of a $55 million budget and a staff of 78 people, which requires Senate confirmation.

It is now the second confirmed Senate race in which the Obama administration has tried to lure challengers to Democratic incumbents out of their races with offers or potential government jobs, flirting with ethical and possibly even legal violations that have besmirched a president who based much of his candidacy on changing the way Washington operates.

Romanoff’s bombshell comes days after White House counsel Bob Bauer confirmed last Friday that White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel went through former President Bill Clinton in an attempt to move Rep. Joe Sestak out of the Pennsylvania Democratic Senate primary.

Read More

That's changing Washington with hope we can believe in!
    Last edited by malloc; 06-02-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Any charges will have to be filed when another justice dept replaces Obamas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Any charges will have to be filed when another justice dept replaces Obamas.
    If we take the house and senate this year, we can go the 'special investigator' route.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Let me predict Zero's handling of this.

1. Denial of wrong doing.

2. Internal self investigation. Outcome... No wrong doing.

3. Stonewalling of any investigation demands.

4. Blaming others and Bush.

5. Accuse RW and TEA partiers of trying to manufacture an incident that did not occur.

6. Give the appearance of agreeing to the Rights request, appoints an "Independent" investigator with ties to some one in Zero's admin.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

I was going to post this as a thread - but since one on the topic already exists:

Andrew Romanoff details contacts with White House over potential jobs

Updated, 9:39 pm

Former Colorado state House Speaker Andrew Romanoff released a detailed statement tonight detailing his contacts with the White House last fall in which a top aide to President Barack Obama sought to convince him to leave the state's Senate race.

Romanoff said that he received a call in September 2009 from White House deputy chief of staff Jim Messina making clear that the White House would be supporting appointed Sen. Michael Bennet in the Colorado Senate Democratic primary.

Added Romanoff:

"Mr. Messina also suggested three positions that might be available to me were I not pursuing the Senate race. He added that he could not guarantee my appointment to any of these positions. At no time was I promised a job, nor did I request Mr. Messina's assistance in obtaining one."

(Romanoff'sstatement is available after the jump.)

The three jobs floated to him by Messina via email, according to Romanoff, were: Deputy Assistant Administrator for Latin America and Caribbean for USAID, Director of Office of Democracy and Governance at USAID and director of the U.S. Trade and Development Agency.

Romanoff said he followed up with a phone message in which he declined the potential job offers.

The Romanoff statement comes less than two weeks after questions about what job (if any) was offered to Pennsylvania Rep. Joe Sestak in hopes of driving him from the race against Sen. Arlen Specter.

The White House ultimately released a report from Counsel Bob Bauer in which it was revealed that former President Bill Clinton had approached Sestak about leaving the race but that no formal contact between the Obama Administration and the candidate had ever occurred.

The simple fact that the White House -- via Messina -- made clear that they would be supporting Bennet in the August Democratic primary is not, in and of itself, particularly shocking. White Houses -- no matter which party is in control -- play favorites in primaries and do their level best to clear fields for the candidate they believe is best positioned to hold the seat for their side in a general election.

At issue is whether the White House's statement on the matter accurately portrayed the entirety of the situation.

In a September 27, 2009 Denver Post piece a White House spokesman is quoted saying that "Mr. Romanoff was never offered a position within the administration."

Romanoff, in his own statement tonight, reiterates that point; "At no time was I promised a job, nor did I request Mr. Messina's assistance in obtaining one," he said.

California Rep. Darrell Issa (R), who has led the charge against the White House on the Sestak and Romanoff matters, issued a sweeping condemnation of the Administration in the wake of the Romanoff statement asking "how deep does the Obama White House's effort to invoke Chicago-style politics for the purpose of manipulating elections really go?,".

Republicans will almost certainly attempt to make an issue of the White House's carefully worded statement about its conversations with Romanoff--questioning whether dangling three specific positions is tantamount to a job offer.

Andrew Romanoff statement

I have received a large number of press inquiries concerning the role the White House is reported to have played in my decision to run for the U.S. Senate. I have declined comment because I did not want - and do not want - to politicize this matter.

A great deal of misinformation has filled the void in the meantime. That does not serve the public interest or any useful purpose.

Here are the facts:

In September 2009, shortly after the news media first reported my plans to run for the Senate, I received a call from Jim Messina, the President's deputy chief of staff. Mr. Messina informed me that the White House would support Sen. Bennet. I informed Mr. Messina that I had made my decision to run.

Mr. Messina also suggested three positions that might be available to me were I not pursuing the Senate race. He added that he could not guarantee my appointment to any of these positions. At no time was I promised a job, nor did I request Mr. Messina's assistance in obtaining one.

Later that day, I received an email from Mr. Messina containing descriptions of three positions (email attached). I left him a voicemail informing him that I would not change course.

I have not spoken with Mr. Messina, nor have I discussed this matter with anyone else in the White House, since then.

By Chris Cillizza | June 2, 2010; 9:01 PM ET
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the...l?hpid=topnews
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I should like to point out that we should not be at all suprised by people in the Obama admin offering jobs to people for political gain - I mean after all - the party was founded by Andrew Jackson the king of the 'spoils system' of government administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Let me predict Zero's handling of this.

1. Denial of wrong doing.

2. Internal self investigation. Outcome... No wrong doing.

3. Stonewalling of any investigation demands.

4. Blaming others and Bush.

5. Accuse RW and TEA partiers of trying to manufacture an incident that did not occur.

6. Give the appearance of agreeing to the Rights request, appoints an "Independent" investigator with ties to some one in Zero's admin.
    Bimgo! Why change what has worked so far!

But slowly but surely I think the press is starting to lose some of that Obummer love! They are actually trying to ask some mild questions, at least to Gibbsie. They can't take this pap for too long, don't forget they always end up eating thier own!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Bimgo!
    what the hell is bimgo? Is it some messed up redneck game??

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    what the hell is bimgo? Is it some messed up redneck game??
    I have fat fingers. Can you guess what I meant? Obnoxious and short! I feel bad for you!:D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I have fat fingers. Can you guess what I meant? Obnoxious and short! I feel bad for you!:D
    as opposed to your fat hairy DUMB and obnoxious? :p

ETA - I forgot OLD!! :D