Thread: White House says it approached Romanoff, but denies job offer

Hybrid View

1. #1 White House says it approached Romanoff, but denies job offer 
    White House says it approached Romanoff, but denies job offer
    By Sam Youngman - 06/03/10 09:50 AM ET

The White House acknowledged on Thursday that it approached Colorado Senate candidate Andrew Romanoff with talk of a job in order to clear the field for its preferred candidate.

In an early morning statement, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs insisted Romanoff was not actually offered a specific position, but said the White House did try to prevent Romanoff from doing battle with Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) in a primary.

Gibbs portrayed White House Deputy Chief of Staff Jim Messina’s contacts with Romanoff as merely following up on an application Romanoff submitted during the presidential transition to work at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Romanoff also had called White House personnel about the position after the Obama administration took office, according to Gibbs.

“Jim Messina called and e-mailed Romanoff last September to see if he was still interested in a position at USAID, or if, as had been reported, he was running for the U.S. Senate,” Gibbs said.

“Months earlier, the president had endorsed Sen. Michael Bennet for the Colorado seat, and Messina wanted to determine if it was possible to avoid a costly battle between two supporters.

“But Romanoff said that he was committed to the Senate race and no longer interested in working for the administration, and that ended the discussion,” Gibbs said. “As Mr. Romanoff has stated, there was no offer of a job.”

Obama and the White House are now in the difficult position of defending backroom political maneuvering meant to help the party retain working majorities in the House and Senate. Democrats expect to lose seats in both chambers in this fall’s elections.
    Big, big news out here.

The Hill

Have you seen how media matters is spinning these? They're building a case that these were not 'job' offers because there would be no pay involved - they would only get to be advisors to the president . . . And this is a so called media watch dog group . . .

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201005290008

ABC News, please define "job"

May 29, 2010 11:23 am ET by Eric Boehlert

Like the WashPost yesterday, ABC headline writers seem to not understand the meaning of the word "job." Here's the ABC headline in question:

Two President and the Sestak Job Offer

But as the article itself clearly states, there was no "job" offer [emphasis added]:

Rep. Joe Sestak, a Pennsylvania Democrat, was urged last summer to take a prestigious presidential advisory position in exchange not running against Sen. Arlen Specter in the state's Democratic primary.

Obviously, an unpaid "advisory position" is not the same thing as a "job." Here's the definition of "job":

1. A regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially as one's trade, occupation, or profession.

I realize it sounds better for the press to claim that the White House offered Sestak a "job." But since that claim is not true, it might be wise for the press to stop telling that tale.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    The Administration would never lie and the media would never cover it up.:mad: Nah

1. A regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially as one's trade, occupation, or profession.
    Wouldn't payment be anything of value, not just money. I guess if a person gets promoted to a supervisor without a pay raise, that's not a promotion.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Wouldn't payment be anything of value, not just money. I guess if a person gets promoted to a supervisor without a pay raise, that's not a promotion.
    "....anything of value...." is how part of the relevant statute reads. I would guess that a cushy "advisory" role in the current administration would qualify as something of value.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    "....anything of value...." is how part of the relevant statute reads. I would guess that a cushy "advisory" role in the current administration would qualify as something of value.
    Even a cushy advisory position offering would be a stretch by the W.H. liars opposed to the possibility of an extremely cushy legislative job in Congress.