Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No. As with any commercial media enterprise, for it to succeed you need to maximize ratings, which means you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Charm, Charisma, Humor, and low-brow spectacular arguments, shouting, conflict, and reinforcement of commonly held ideals. These attract people, which rise ratings, which attract advertisers and which pay the bills.
    You're so right. I mean what rational person would think the actual liberal positions could be at fault? Why, it just needs to be repackaged. That's all. So the little people can understand it.
    The masses just can't understand why a mosque at ground-zero is a good thing. Or why Iran's push toward nukes isn't really a big deal, or why school vouchers are really evil, or why unions and trial lawyers are the ones who really really need government protection, or why the gov, who can't run anything at a profit, should take over health care, or even though the oil rigs were forced into deep water,hugely increasing their risks over on-shore drilling by eco orgs, the eco orgs are innocent, or.....................

.Nuance it until you agree with it. Keep saying it until you believe it. It's what makes you so smart. We're all really impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    You're so right. I mean what rational person would think the actual liberal positions could be at fault?
    I think they can.

Why, it just needs to be repackaged. That's all. So the little people can understand it.
    The masses just can't understand why a mosque at ground-zero is a good thing. Or why Iran's push toward nukes isn't really a big deal, or why school vouchers are really evil, or why unions and trial lawyers are the ones who really really need government protection, or why the gov, who can't run anything at a profit, should take over health care, or even though the oil rigs were forced into deep water,hugely increasing their risks over on-shore drilling by eco orgs, the eco orgs are innocent, or.....................

.Nuance it until you agree with it. Keep saying it until you believe it. It's what makes you so smart. We're all really impressed.
    No liberal shows just suck at being interesting, charismatic, they aren't fun or funny and lack all of the flash and flair.

I listen to conservative talk shows all the time, and television shows, they are enjoyable. I can't stand typical liberal media.

Think they could find some personalities who aren't pissed off at the world all the time?
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I think they can.

No liberal shows just suck at being interesting, charismatic, they aren't fun or funny and lack all of the flash and flair.

I listen to conservative talk shows all the time, and television shows, they are enjoyable. I can't stand typical liberal media.
    Have you ever heard Randi Rhodes' show? Al Franken? Jennine Garafalo? Mike Malloy? Ed Schultz? Wait, probably not. No one really has heard their shows. I forgot. Seriously, this is from Randi Rhodes:

A spoiled child is telling us our Social Security isn’t safe anymore, so he is going to fix it for us. Well, here’s your answer, you ungrateful whelp: [audio sound of 4 gunshots being fired.] Just try it, you little bastard. [audio of gun being cocked].
    You don't call that flash and flair? You don't call Malloy calling Bush a "madman" and Cheney a "mass murderer" flash and flair? You are the most dense person I've ever come across to the point that I'm beginning to believe you're nothing more than a sock puppet.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Have you ever heard Randi Rhodes' show? Al Franken? Jennine Garafalo? Mike Malloy? Ed Schultz? Wait, probably not. No one really has heard their shows. I forgot. Seriously, this is from Randi Rhodes:

You don't call that flash and flair? You don't call Malloy calling Bush a "madman" and Cheney a "mass murderer" flash and flair? You are the most dense person I've ever come across to the point that I'm beginning to believe you're nothing more than a sock puppet.
    Right, those shows are on the air, are successful enough to generate profits. We're talking about shows that go off the air.

It's sa that this is what people have to resort to in order to get ratings, that ratings and ad revenue is the sole motivator behind talk shows, and that these shows are the primary source of news for so many people who haven't read a book since they were in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post
    Think they could find some personalities who aren't pissed off at the world all the time?
    Impossible. The core personality traits of modern liberals are misanthropy and self-loathing. Trust me on this one.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Impossible. The core personality traits of modern liberals are misanthropy and self-loathing. Trust me on this one.
    You left out jealousy and racism.

Sonnabend
    No. As with any commercial media enterprise, for it to succeed you need to maximize ratings, which means you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator
    Treating your listeners like children who need to be "led" really gets their attention Treating them with contempt gets you talking into a dead stream.

Charm, Charisma, Humor, and low-brow spectacular arguments, shouting, conflict, and reinforcement of commonly held ideals. These attract people, which rise ratings, which attract advertisers and which pay the bills.
    It helps when the host can actually post FACTs to prove their case. Listeners will then tell others...and if you lie to them, word of mouth will kill your show.

Malloy has lied so often I lost count (and I downloaded his crap and listened to it so I do know)

The key to good radio is having something people want to hear. Which is why AA failed.

It wasnt because they didnt get their message across, the message was received LOUD AND CLEAR, and they reached for the off switch.

Sonnabend
    Right, those shows are on the air, are successful enough to generate profits. We're talking about shows that go off the air.
    ...bacause they dont generate profit.

It's sa that this is what people have to resort to in order to get ratings, that ratings and ad revenue is the sole motivator behind talk shows, and that these shows are the primary source of news for so many people who haven't read a book since they were in school.
    It helps to have money to pay the bills for airtime, and pay the salaries of the people who work there. People dont work for free, do they? Not unless they intend to starve.

I think liberal radio fails (outside of niche areas) because it's so uninteresting. There isn't one new idea out of liberal thought. Every issue, every argument, every "outrage" is identical to the issues, arguments, and "outrages" we've all heard over and over from grade school on.

Conservative talk is more diverse. Different talkers disagree with each other. Even if they do agree on the importance of an issue, they are likely to have different solutions or different goals in mind. Conservatives talk a lot more about culture, which is interesting to me. Prager is my favorite radio guy and he seldom discusses topical politics.