Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Long over due. But I doubt this will be the last we hear of the wicked witch.

MSNBC will hire her as a conservative commentator now I'm sure. ;)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    MSNBC will hire her as a conservative commentator now I'm sure. ;)
    I doubt conservative commentator, but more likely an mid-east/Israel expert.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I doubt conservative commentator, but more likely an mid-east/Israel expert.
    ah yes - far more fitting.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Fox News should hire her...around Halloween. :p:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Sonnabend
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...l?hpid=topnews
    Helen Thomas retires amid controversy over Israel remarks

Updated 12:50 p.m.
    By Anne E. Kornblut
    Veteran White House reporter Helen Thomas announced Monday that she is retiring, effective immediately, in the wake of a controversy over her comments on Israel, according to a report from her employer, Hearst News Service.

Thomas told a rabbi at a White House event last week that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and go back to Germany and Poland.

"I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians," Thomas said in a statement on her Web site. "They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon."

Thomas's comments provoked sharp criticism within the close-knit world of White House reporters, and drew a rebuke from the White House podium Monday. With her seat conspicuously empty at the daily briefing, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs assailed Thomas for her words.

"Those remarks were offensive and reprehensible," Gibbs said, noting that Thomas has apologized. Her sentiments "do not reflect certainly most of the people here and certainly not those of the administration."

Thomas, 89, who has covered the White House for decades, canceled a speech over the weekend and was dropped by a speakers' bureau that represented her. The controversy comes at a precarious moment in the Middle East, after an Israeli assault on an aid flotilla that left 11 dead and prompted an international outcry.

The Board of the White House Correspondents Association also issued a statement Monday calling her comment "indefensible."

The full WHCA statement follows:

Helen Thomas' comments were indefensible and the White House Correspondents Association board firmly dissociates itself from them. Many in our profession who have known Helen for years were saddened by the comments, which were especially unfortunate in light of her role as a trail blazer on the White House beat.

While Helen has not been a member of the WHCA for many years, her special status in the briefing room has helped solidify her as the dean of the White House press corps so we feel the need to speak out strongly on this matter.

We want to emphasize that the role of the WHCA is to represent the White House press corps in its dealings with the White House on coverage-related issues. We do not police the speech of our members or colleagues. We are not involved at all in issuing White House credentials, that is the purview of the White House itself.

But the incident does revive the issue of whether it is appropriate for an opinion columnist to have a front row seat in the WH briefing room
    . That is an issue under the jurisdiction of this board. We are actively seeking input from our association members on this important matter, and we have scheduled a special meeting of the WHCA board on Thursday to decide on the seating issue.

Ed Chen, Bloomberg
    David Jackson, USA Today
    Caren Bohan, Reuters
    Ed Henry, CNN
    Julie Mason, DC Examiner
    Don Gonyea, National Public Radio
    Steve Scully, C-SPAN
    Doug Mills, The New York Times
    Translation: they disowned her.:D

Couldn't happen to a more deserving person................
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I guess she can now dedicate herself full time to her beloved hobby! Luring children into gingerbread houses.
    ROFLOL! Now, we both know that she's going back to her other job as a gargoyle on the National Cathedral. Nothing scares off the pigeons like a glimpse of her craggy face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    Helen Thomas just said a loud what many on the Left are thinking.

If Isreal gets attack you'll find many on the the Left cheering for her destruction.
    Including many members of the Obama administration, as well as his closest friends and advisers. Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn, Jeremiah Wright and a whole host of his pals are notoriously anti-Israeli or anti-Semitic.
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I kind of liked her. I think that retiring is the best way to handle what was obviously a senior moment. A hateful one at that, but still, she wouldn't have said it if she was thinking clearly, even if she believed it.
    Exactly what did you "kind of" like about her? She's been a vitriolic fountain of partisan bile for as long as I can remember.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I kind of liked her. I think that retiring is the best way to handle what was obviously a senior moment. A hateful one at that, but still, she wouldn't have said it if she was thinking clearly, even if she believed it.
    I think "retiring" is too good for her. Fox is calling it a "forced retirement", which it is. Sorry, but I think she's always been a spiteful old hag. She's said similar things in the past, but they were overlooked. She just said what she feels. It's time for her to retire, whether voluntary or forced.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    You all are way off base on Helen's retirement plans....

There's a bridge in Norway under which she plans to reside.

It's very near the bridges under which the Rolling Stones plan to reside when they get old.

Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post

It's very near the bridges under which the Rolling Stones plan to reside when they get old.
    WHEN!?!?!?!?!