1. #1 Stalin bust has Virginia town red-faced (D Day Flop) 
    Stalin bust has Virginia town red-faced
    Communist dictator deemed unworthy of D-Day recognition

Updated: 9:57 a.m. on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The small town of Bedford, Va., is home to 21 men who sacrificed their lives on D-Day, June 6, 1944. It is now also the home of one of the world's few public memorial busts of communist dictator Josef Stalin.

Local citizens and organizations have expressed their outrage over the installation of the bust at the National D-Day Memorial, which honored the 66th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy over the weekend. The bust of the Soviet Union's wartime leader was unveiled last week to accompany existing busts of U.S. Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman as well as British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

"Having Stalin in our backyard, people are really upset about that," said Karl Altau, the managing director at the joint Baltic American National Committee that has helped in movements against the Stalin bust.

A Facebook page with more than 2,000 members as of Monday afternoon has been set up to protest the statue. In an online poll from the Bedford Bulletin, the town's local newspaper, 94.8 percent of 429 respondents said a bust of Stalin should not be placed at the National D-Day Memorial as of Monday afternoon.

Lee Edwards, chairman of the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, another organization involved in the protests against the statue, said he and others thought the prospect of a bust of Stalin was a joke when they first heard about it.

It was "too misplaced and ill-timed," he said.

But confusion soon gave way to frustration. "The National D-Day Memorial Foundation knows it made a monumental mistake by including Stalin in its memorial," he said.

Stalin is infamous for his dictatorial rule of the Soviet Union, which ultimately led to the deaths of at least 20 million people, the largest number perishing during the terror famines he engineered in the early 1930s to collectivize Soviet agriculture. He also entered World War II on the side of Nazi Germany, and only became an ally of the Western democracies when Adolf Hitler invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941.

The erection of the statue is ironic to some because statues and images of the dictator have been torn down all over Europe since the 1950s denunciation of him by his successors in ruling the Soviet Union.
    Lame justification at the link.

Washington Times

There is ZERO justification for puting a bust of Uncle Joe at a D-Day memorial.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I really don't know what these people are thinking unless they've become eaten up with political correctness. I have been here and it is touching but i won't be back until this bust is gone. I do think however that Mark Warner had a hand in this. somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I really don't know what these people are thinking unless they've become eaten up with political correctness. I have been here and it is touching but i won't be back until this bust is gone. I do think however that Mark Warner had a hand in this. somehow.
    The artist probably had some kind of overall "concept" for the installation. The people who should have known better were no doubt cowed into accepting (and paying for) the entire vision instead of making their community needs crystal clear.

Power CUer
    The D-Day memorial is rather odd overall. We stopped there a few years ago on our way back to DC from a trip and it's kind of a mishmosh. There's a water feature/fountain which represents the sea at the Normandy beaches, and jets of water spray up when a recorded "bullet" noise sounds.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

When we were there, it appeared that older Americans were the hosts so to speak....working the stores, etc. so I have to wonder if like many other organizations, left leaning persons infiltrated. it happens and happens a lot.

I went to the D Day memorial last week and ALOT of people were in an uproar.

The guides there explained it like this; Like it or not Uncle Joe was one of the "Allies" and the Russian offensives in the East took pressure away from the invasion.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

well that makes sense you stupid peons. We can't have a picture of President George W. Bush in a school but we can stick a bust of a mass murderer in an American War Memorial.

Sonnabend
    I think I like you, Calypso :D

Nicely put.