#1 Modest Proposal for Mideast Peace for Land; The Arabs Must Have a Choice06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Most Mideast peace proposal focus on finding some mythical "mid-point" between that the Palestinians want and what the Israelis want. None seem to focus on what the region would look like under any such "peace". My concern obviously is that the "peace" would be a temporary step on the way towards renewed Palestinian demands and renewed violence. I think the roadmap should be different; either we have peace or we don't have peace.
My tentative proposal for Mideast peace (and I'm not sure I have worked out all the details) would be as follows:
- Israel gives back all land except for Jerusalem and environs;
- Existing Israeli settlers be provided guarantees of safety, while their land would operate under local West Bank government;
- Elected local governments in Gaza and West Bank rule those areas, with a highway corridor connecting them;
- All Arab governments accord Israel full diplomatic recognition;
- All Arab boycotts of Israel immediately cease;
- Realistic economic development projects should be promulgated for land returend to Arab control so there would be an agenda other than continuing warfare;
- All Arab governmentsal entities and other stakeholders abandon any claim to a "right of return" of Arab refugees or their descendants;
- Arabs and Jews who are now living in pre-1967 Israel and Jerusalem and lawful immigrants have full civil rights in Israel as Israelis;
- Arabs and Jews who are now living in pre-1967 West Bank and/or Gaza, except Jerusalem and lawful immigrants have full civil rights in their respective areas;
- All people could travel freely through the region, subject to normal, neutral rules of border control and internal security; and
- All Arab governmentsal entities and other stakeholders abandon any claim to any part of pre-1967 Israel or Jerusalem;
- The Golan Heights would remain under Israeli military control, but prior residents and their descendants would have a right of return; and
- Israel would have the right to control and interdict all flow of armaments to West Bank and/or Gaza
There is nothing anti-Muslim or anti-Arab in this post. It is too much to expect any country to exist, forever, in a state of warfare where only one side can fight without restraint. The Arabs cannot continue to play a game of "heads I win tails you lose" where they attack Israel, either directly or through asymetrical warfare, and then the world forces Israel to respond with both hands tied behind their backs.
Last edited by JBG; 06-07-2010 at 12:01 AM.If it's us or them, I choose us.
Freedom speaks English.
September 11; a moment of great moral clarity
06-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I have a better proposal - the world backs off and lets Israel and the 'palestinian' arabs settle this once and for all. Winner takes all.Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|