Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Time Warp Wives: Meet the women who really do live in the past 
    The credit crunch, a knife crime epidemic - no wonder so many of us are sick of the 21st century. Most of us just grumble, but some women have taken radical action to escape what they see as the soulless grind of modern life. Meet the 'Time Warp Wives', who believe that life, especially marriage, was far more straightforward in the Thirties, Forties and Fifties.

1950s

Joanne Massey, 35, lives in a recreation of a 1950s home in Stafford with her husband Kevin, 42, who works as a graphics application designer. Joanne is a housewife. She says:

I love nothing better than fastening my pinny round my waist and baking a cake for Kevin in my 1950s kitchen.

I put on some lovely Frank Sinatra music and am completely lost in my own little fantasy world. In our marriage, I am very much a lady and Kevin is the breadwinner and my protector.

link

See the rest here. I do admire their discipline in picking an era and sticking with it. I'd be tempted to buy all sorts of things from the 'wrong' era.

Anyone for tea? Diane spends hours on the internet sourcing items for her 1930s lifestyle
    That sort of cracked me up.

But I do love Joanne's kitchen. I love 50's style for stuff like that.

I completely understand this concept.

While I don't really collect period furnishings or attempt to recreate any particular era, I do simply reject chunks of popular culture that are degrading, demeaning, or senseless.

I cook from scratch and pack Mr. Snaps' lunch every day. I really, really like having a well kept home. I like to dress like a lady - not a bag lady, either. I like to have civilized dinner parties. I like to hang out with other people who can get through an entire conversation without using gutter language. I enjoy helping the neighbors.

Really, the more I think about it, pretend-living in the 40s may beat real living in the oughts in terms of happiness. :D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

While I don't really collect period furnishings or attempt to recreate any particular era, I do simply reject chunks of popular culture that are degrading, demeaning, or senseless.

I cook from scratch and pack Mr. Snaps' lunch every day. I really, really like having a well kept home. I like to dress like a lady - not a bag lady, either. I like to have civilized dinner parties. I like to hang out with other people who can get through an entire conversation without using gutter language. I enjoy helping the neighbors.

Really, the more I think about it, pretend-living in the 40s may beat real living in the oughts in terms of happiness. :D
    Even to wearing a big flower in your hair ?She looks like a retro Betty Crocker baking contestant !

It does sound attractive when you put it like that.

An Adversary of Linda #'s

Can you imagine baking cookies or cooking on that stove,it's tiny.But she does have a rudamentry salamander broiler !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Can you imagine baking cookies or cooking on that stove,it's tiny.But she does have a rudamentry salamander broiler !
    Uh....yeah I can. I used to serve dinners for 16 off a very similar arrangement. I had a four burner electric range top circa 1964 and an oven that would take a turkey no larger than 16 pounds.

Trust me, where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

Personally, I feel that society at large would benefit if more mothers traded in their corporate suits for aprons, and stayed at home!

Of course I am biased.
    With our 15 kids, I shudder to think of the chaos if she worked outside the home!
    That is why I told her from day 1: "I will work 3 jobs before you work 1!"

Does this make me some sort of prude, forcing her to stay at home and keep house? Maybe.
    Of course, the natural response is: Tough!
    She loves being a stay-at-home mom!

Do I want to live in a retro-environment? Hell, no!
    The past is fun for remembering, but given today's societal 'norms', it is frightening to think about living as care-free as in my youth.

I think it is wonderful that these people have managed to find their way!
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Power CUer
    I can't fantasize about living in the 1930s. Selling apples on street corners and standing in bread lines doesn't actually sound like all that much fun.