Thread: Google kills background images on home page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Google kills background images on home page 
    June 10, 2010 11:29 AM PDT
    Google kills background images on home page
    by Tom Krazit

Background images were the temporary default look for Google.com before being pulled earlier than expected.

Fourteen hours into a 24-hour experiment with background imagery, Google's home page is once again stark white.

Design guru Marissa Mayer confirmed that Google was ending the experiment early due to what she called a "bug," which erased a link underneath the search bar on google.com that explained why Google's famously spartan home page had taken on a colorful look. Apparently many searchers on Google.com Thursday morning missed the company's blog post Wednesday night, and were confused and annoyed at the change, turning "remove google background" into the seventh-most-popular search on Google Thursday.

Last week Google announced that it would begin providing its users with the option of setting their own background image behind the home page, but last night it forced an image to appear for all users signed into a Google account to highlight the feature. That didn't sit well with many grown used to Google's clean white design, especially when Google's explanation of why it was forcing this look vanished from the home page.

It also gave fans of Microsoft's Bing search engine a chance to crow, given that one of Bing's most noticeable features is a striking background image behind Bing.com that contains links to searches about the image.
    CNET

Ever notice how Google has such a hard time acknowledging important American moments. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day. their silence on truly American matters is really unforgivable.
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    Ever notice how Google has such a hard time acknowledging important American moments. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day. their silence on truly American matters is really unforgivable.
    They see themselves as global company (which they are). They should tailor their art image to the ISP. American stuff for us, Brit stuff for the Brits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They see themselves as global company (which they are). They should tailor their art image to the ISP. American stuff for us, Brit stuff for the Brits, etc.
    That would be a good way to go. I've always felt that they were a little more interested in the "PC" community.
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig

I don't use Google so I never notice what they are doing or not doing. I don't support a lot of the things they do as a company and since there are plenty of search engines that do just as good a job at gettin me info I haven't been missing anything.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    That would be a good way to go. I've always felt that they were a little more interested in the "PC" community.
    They are one of the most moonbatty companies in the world.

They have bidets in their restrooms.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I don't use Google so I never notice what they are doing or not doing. I don't support a lot of the things they do as a company and since there are plenty of search engines that do just as good a job at gettin me info I haven't been missing anything.
    show me something better - and I'll use it. I used to swear by Lycos back in the day . . . . a Burgh thing I admit. :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I try not to use Google. Bing has been OK.

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They do ... we get specific doodles for specific Brit high days. Last week or so ago, it was some geezer who invented the holgram's turn. They do global events too... it's all FIFA World Cup at the moment.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Google is retarded. Just once I'd like to put something in their search engine and have them come back with something remotely close to what I'm looking for.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy