Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 I am FURIOUS at these reports Edwards had an affair 
    brazenlyliberal (771 posts) Fri Aug-08-08 03:38 PM
    Original message
    I am FURIOUS at these reports Edwards had an affair.
    Advertisements [?]Not angry that he had the affair - that's between him and Elizabeth and Rielle(?) and none of my damned business. No, I'm royally pissed that it's being reported all over the airwaves.

Why is this news? Why is this breaking news supplanting other stories on every goddamned network? Why is his former campaign manager being quoted as saying he is "saddened and angry"? How the hell is it any of HIS business either? Is this how low we've sunk? I can see that the facts about someone whose private life is in direct conflict with his policies would be pertinent. I can see that the facts about someone whose personal life involves victimizing those younger or weaker would be pertinent. But an adult having an affair with another consenting adult is, I repeat, nobody's goddamned business.
    When it happens to a dem people should mind their own business and not ask these questions. It shouldn't be discussed in the forums or in the media. Yet when it is a republican then the perp should be hung by his testicles and it should be the only topic the MSM should be focused on.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3753554

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    When it happens to a dem people should mind their own business and not ask these questions. It shouldn't be discussed in the forums or in the media. Yet when it is a republican then the perp should be hung by his testicles and it should be the only topic the MSM should be focused on.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3753554

Media's self censorship is a bigger scandal than Edwards
    Commentary: Is it any wonder that nobody buys newspapers any more?
    By Tom Bemis, MarketWatch

Last update: 1:51 p.m. EDT Aug. 7, 2008Comments: 129

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- The scandal over former Sen. John Edwards' alleged fathering of a love child is rapidly being surpassed by a greater travesty -- not one single major media organization in the U.S is covering the story.
    It's August. It's the slowest news month of the year. Newspapers are dying on the vine.
    But nobody wants to touch a sordid tale about a politician's love life?
    Former Rep. Gary Condit should have been so lucky.
    Bill Clinton, Larry Craig, and Ted Kennedy can only gaze in wonder at the dearth of coverage.
    In February, the New York Times (NYT:New York Times Company spilled barrels of ink, and clear-cut a forest to tell the world that -- hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean? -- Sen. John McCain allegedly had had an affair. This was great stuff, until someone bothered to vet the story.

By those standards, the Enquirer's reporting on Edwards is Pulitzer grade stuff. (They have a picture.)

The guy's up for a cabinet post at least, maybe even veep -- well, not any more.
    But somehow, it's just not relevant that he won't answer questions about why he was hiding from a couple of trashy tabloid reporters in a bathroom at the Beverly Hills Hilton at 2:30 a.m.?
    Media's self censorship is a bigger scandal than Edwards
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Power CUer
    I actually don't understand why anyone cares. Edwards isn't running for President anymore and this affair only became news because his name was being bandied about for VP. His endorsement of Obama so soon after dropping out of the race may have made him some enemies. Didn't Clinton people buy the National Enquirer during the 90s? I thought that was why the NE was targeted for the first anthrax envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I actually don't understand why anyone cares. Edwards isn't running for President anymore and this affair only became news because his name was being bandied about for VP. His endorsement of Obama so soon after dropping out of the race may have made him some enemies. Didn't Clinton people buy the National Enquirer during the 90s? I thought that was why the NE was targeted for the first anthrax envelope.
    People are always sure that The Enquirer is in the tank for the Clintons but it's not true. I read it every week for celebutard amusement and they go after any political sex/drug scandal. They've been working this story since last fall.

Paint It Black (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-08-08 05:36 PM
    Response to Reply #30
    51. This is always the huge difference
    The rethugs are the ones who run around on this whole "family values" platform, and constantly push anti-homosexual legislation.

Sure, it's sad that Edwards did what he did, and people have every right to think that he's a scumbag over it. But afaik, he never made 'family values' part of his central platform. He might be an adulterer, but he's not a hypocrite because of it.
    This is the excuse they always make as to why it is OK for liberals to have affairs, etc. but they yell and scream a blue streak if it is a conservative.

But try pointing out that liberals have no family values. LOL

They want it both ways.

Somehow it's OK to have an affair and it should be kept a secret if the person (always a liberal) if they don't talk about family values. Or maybe I should say...If family values aren't important to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    My only interest in it is in the hypocracy that DU displays on events like this. It amuses me to watch them scramble to explain away the actions of a dem after vilifying republicans for doing the same thing all the while trying not seem like hypocrits. Its kind of like watching a drug addict in rehab play Jenga.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 08-08-2008 at 07:04 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    This is the excuse they always make as to why it is OK for liberals to have affairs, etc. but they yell and scream a blue streak if it is a conservative.

But try pointing out that liberals have no family values. LOL

They want it both ways.

Somehow it's OK to have an affair and it should be kept a secret if the person (always a liberal) if they don't talk about family values. Or maybe I should say...If family values aren't important to them.
    I believe Edwards did use family values as an issue along with telling everyone that he related to the common man, while building a mansion big enough to have its own full sized basketball court.

C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    People are always sure that The Enquirer is in the tank for the Clintons but it's not true. I read it every week for celebutard amusement and they go after any political sex/drug scandal. They've been working this story since last fall.
    No kldding.

I'll have to read it more often. :)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    My only interest in it is in the hypocracy that DU displays on events like this. It amuses me to watch them scramble to explain away the actions of a dem after vilifying republicans for doing the same thing all the while trying seem like hypocrits. Its kind of like watching a drug addict in rehab play Jenga.
    Ah. I get it.

To me, it's a non issue. Edwards isn't running and I don't particularly care about him one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Haven't they been running a lot of stories about how ragged Hill-dog's looking? It didn't look too complimentary from a casual skimming. And yeah, man they nailed this story. Sad that they have to do the MSM's job for them.
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”