Thread: Book Thread!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Book Thread! 
    Been a while...so what's everyone reading? Yesterday, I finished a late-80's vampire classic by Ray Garton called Live Girls, and just started The House by Bentley Little.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

I'm reading stuff by Jack Higgins, nothing deep but a lot of fun. I like the ones that have the character Sean Dillon in them :)
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    I'm reading stuff by Jack Higgins, nothing deep but a lot of fun. I like the ones that have the character Sean Dillon in them :)
    If you haven't already, you should try...

I have just finished Victoria Vanishes by Christopher Fowler which was very good, and have just started Lady in Blue which is quite promising so far I'm hoping the rest of the book lives up to the beginning.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Been a while...so what's everyone reading? Yesterday, I finished a late-80's vampire classic by Ray Garton called Live Girls, and just started The House by Bentley Little.
    The suspicions of Mr. Whiche,Swatzsticker Michael Slade, just finished !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The suspicions of Mr. Whiche,Swatzsticker Michael Slade, just finished !
    How was it? I recently read a Slade novel after a LONG time...and found I really enjoy their books. Good, fun, gruesome stuff...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Some very funny stuff about a lucky Victorian English bounder,scoundrel,blighter what ever they are called these days.:D

The Flashman series of books is written by George Macdonald Fraser, and details the life of fictional Victorian soldier, Sir Harry Flashman.

Join The The Flashman Society
    President: George Macdonald Fraser

Flashman first appeared as the bully in Tom Brown's Schooldays, and over the course of these books, Flashman recounts tales of his service at numerous major military disasters, from the Charge of the Light Brigade to Rorke's Drift. Flashman is a coward, a scoundrel and a self-confessed poltroon, and yet somehow manages to get promoted through the ranks of the British army to brigadier-general over the course of the books.

Each book has been meticulously researched by Macdonald Fraser, and includes a series of footnotes to accompany the story, providing corroborating details on Flashman's commentary, based on historical accounts.

The series is very well written, and forms a lively account of the major events of the Victorian era from the unique perspective of Sir Harry Flashman.
    1. Flashman
    Flashman's Early life, Afghan uprising 1839-1842.
    Shameless, exciting and funny, Flashman's deplorable odyssey is observed with the cynical eye of a scoundrel who was honest only in reporting what he saw. He makes all other black sheep look respectively grey. The hero triumphs in this first instalment.
    Royal Flash,Flash For Freedom!,

Banned
    I've got my new toy and bought around 20 ebooks which I've now downloaded.

I'm reading a LeCarrre novel, Absolute Friends...

Absolute Friends tells the story of two friends in the spy trade, Ted Mundy who works for British Intelligence, and Sasha, a Stasi double agent who passes him information. The story follows Mundy's life from a childhood in Pakistan, public school in England, and his adult life in Germany. He first meets Sasha at the height of the Cold War, and their friendship continues through the fall of the Berlin Wall to the war in Iraq. They both get involved with a philanthropist who wants to create an alternative university to counter anti-war propaganda, but Mundy soon discovers it's not quite what it seems. John le Carré is one of the master storytellers of the spy genre and Absolute Friends has received mixed reviews. The New Zealand Herald says, "This is an extraordinarily passionate novel: it's bitter about human self-deception and hypocrisy, heart-rending about loneliness, excoriating in its denunciation of the war in Iraq and the multiple deceptions governments and corporations practise on people."

'Classics of Western Philosophy' and 'Duma Key'

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I've got my new toy and bought around 20 ebooks which I've now downloaded.

I'm reading a LeCarrre novel, Absolute Friends...

How is that device? I owned a Rocket E-Book for several years but their wasn't a lot available for it. I was hoping to get my programming technical reference manuals on it and just tote it around but nothing usable was ever available. It wouldn't even do HTML.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis