Thread: Book Thread!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    How is that device? I owned a Rocket E-Book for several years but their wasn't a lot available for it. I was hoping to get my programming technical reference manuals on it and just tote it around but nothing usable was ever available. It wouldn't even do HTML.
    So far, it's great. It's a Cybook, an e-paper device rather than a backlit device so it's easy on the eyes. It reads html, pdf, txt, pdb (non-secure), and doc files as well as Mobipocket books. Both companies are French and I haven't seen any compatability problems. Mobipocket has a huge number of ebooks can be read on multiple devices, including PCs and PDAs, as well as the Cybook, and the company also has a creator tool that allows you to take other file formats and make an ebook. Mobipocket Reader and Mobipocket Creator are free.

The only caveat is that they're just as expensive (or close to it) as physical books.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    How was it? I recently read a Slade novel after a LONG time...and found I really enjoy their books. Good, fun, gruesome stuff...
    Typical Slade but interesting details about Nazi's Germany's last days .Have you noticed that all of these severed feet in sneakers is part of an earlier Slade tome.I will expect to find that poor kid butchered in the Canadian Grayhound buss in a later book in some form or another and Lee Child's latest 'Nothing To Lose'!
    Last edited by megimoo; 08-08-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Having a great reading summer so far. I have read both those E. Lee books you sent and have read The Last Patriot by Brad Thor, Nothing To Lose by Lee Child, Broken Window by Jeffry Deaver, Plague Ship by cussler and a bunch of others.
    I still have to go out and get the new Repairman Jack book - The Early years.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I'm currently rereading "Presumed Innocent" by Scott Turow and I'm working my through "Classic Home Cooking" by Mary Frances Berry and Marlena Spieler.

I'm waiting for this to arrive:

Books: A Memoir
    by Larry McMurtry

It wasn't enough for Pulitzer Prize-winning author Larry McMurtry to become one of the most prolific, bestselling, and beloved of American writers. Besides writing nearly forty books, including the Pultizer Prize-winning novel Lonesome Dove, he has emerged as one this nation's greatest bookmen. In Books: A Memoir, McMurtry shares with readers his lifelong passion and dogged pursuit of books. In short, gem-like chapters, he paints a fascinating picture of the landscape of American book culture and book selling over a 50-year period. The story is as dusty, musty and crusty as any of McMurtry's fictionalized Westerns, and filled with characters who seem like they stepped out of central casting. Whether you love McMurtry, books, bookstores or a combination thereof, you'll find something to love in Books: A Memoir. Settle in with a cuppa coffee and let McMurtry kindle your passion for physical books.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I'm waiting for this to arrive:

Books: A Memoir
    by Larry McMurtry
    I love his stuff! I'll have to keep a look out for this one. Mr. Snaps is kind of a upper-tier collector and buyer and seller of books. He deals mostly in first editions of highly obscure material like American regional poets, WWII materials for the home front, and manuals of various types. This would make an excellent present. :)

McMurtry has a book store (Booked Up) in North Texas. He was based in D.C. for years but moved home.

The Archer City store is arguably the largest single used bookstore in the United States, carrying somewhere between 400,000 and 450,000 titles

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    McMurtry has a book store (Booked Up) in North Texas. He was based in D.C. for years but moved home.
    Who knew? :D

I just finished Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography by Andrew Morton. Would you believe that Tom is 100 percent certifiably CRAZY?! :D I learned a lot about Scientology. Talk about wacky!

Now I'm re-reading True Devotion, Book 1 in Dee Henderson's Uncommon Heroes Series. She's one of my favorite authors. I read and re-read her stuff regularly.

After that, I will start Conversations with the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer that I picked up on a whim at Target. No, it's not Shannon's autobiography. ;)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Who knew? :D
    Do you read cook books as literature ?I find books like Larousse Gastronomique and Mastering The Art of French Cooking and Simca's Cuisine (The Cook's Classic Library) excellent reading besides being great books on cooking .Simca's,Simone Beck talks of her childhood growing up in an upper class French family and their culinary adventures throughout France !