Thread: Book Thread!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    If you haven't already, you should try...

Oooo, thanks, I'll have to give that one a try :)
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Do you read cook books as literature ?I find books like Larousse Gastronomique and Mastering The Art of French Cooking and Simca's Cuisine (The Cook's Classic Library) excellent reading besides being great books on cooking .Simca's,Simone Beck talks of her childhood growing up in an upper class French family and their culinary adventures throughout France !
    I do. "How To Cook A Wolf" by Fisher is one of my favorites. I also collect old cookbooks (and cook out them). I enjoy reading about times when people weren't so frightened of food but saw it as a genuine pleasure. Many of the dishes so aptly satirized by Lileks in his books are actually wonderful in real life. It's just those awful pics that make it seem horrible.

You simply have not lived until you have made and enjoyed a three-layer, cream cheese frosted loaf or one of those sinfully delicious overnight breakfast concoctions from the 80s.

Many past culinary fads are worth a second take. You might update the spices and change the presentation but the core ideas are still sound.

Banned - Not really Theo
    The Divine Conspiracy (Rediscovering our hidden life in God) - Dallas Willard

and

Covenant Theology - Peter Golding

LINK :D
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-08-2008 at 09:05 PM.

I really enjoy reading John Grisham.
    Currently I am reading The Appeal

I also enjoy reading plays, now I am reading Lost in Yonkers by Neil Simon

I got bored with The Book of Lists, and read 1984 for the third time. After that, I read Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune. I suppose it's a "must" for Dune fans, but I wasn't overly impressed. I just read them because I was bored. Don't know what I'll read next - preferably something classic.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Let's see, there's three books I've got that I've been trying to stay faithful in reading:
    1. 'The Problem of Pain,' by C.S. Lewis.
    2. 'Finding Serenity,' a collection of essays on the cult classic sci fi show 'Firefly,' edited by one of the show's writers.
    3. 'The Last of the Mohicans,' by James Fenimore Cooper (While I was vacationing in Canada, a small- town library near my family's cabin had a book clearance sale, and I found a paperback copy of that classic of American literaure on sale there for a mere $0.25 Canadian, so of course I had to pick it up).

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I'm going to finish the final book in the teen vampire series I've been reading tonight. They are annoying but I can't stop reading them.:o
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Being raised in the conservative family that I was raised in, and going to church schools, I did not read the classics as a child.

I recently (this summer) read The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, Watership Down, To Kill a Mockingbird, Grapes of Wrath... hmmm.. I know there are more. I started Animal Farm.. haven't finished it yet.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Being raised in the conservative family that I was raised in, and going to church schools, I did not read the classics as a child.

I recently (this summer) read The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, Watership Down, To Kill a Mockingbird, Grapes of Wrath... hmmm.. I know there are more. I started Animal Farm.. haven't finished it yet.

I read most of those books for the first time as a child. I'm interested in your take on them, having read them for the first time as an adult.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post

My family was conservative and we went to church every week - twice sometimes. I read all those books as a child or a teen. Are you sure it wasn't your school system at fault more than your own family?