Thread: Book Thread!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    My family was conservative and we went to church every week - twice sometimes. I read all those books as a child or a teen. Are you sure it wasn't your school system at fault more than your own family?
    The school system... they wouldve screened books for content. The N word, even in the historical context would not have been allowed. The school system was also the church, so a book like Catcher in the Rye would not have been allowed. My school was the same as church.

I've been reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series of books. It takes place in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. For more info click here.

If Sci-Fi isn't your thing then I suggest Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Being raised in the conservative family that I was raised in, and going to church schools, I did not read the classics as a child.
    I don't follow. Why didn't they want children to read classics?

I have just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and "The Lees of Virginia", and am looking around for what's next.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't follow. Why didn't they want children to read classics?

I have just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and "The Lees of Virginia", and am looking around for what's next.
    I really don't know why the classics were not available, nor required reading at the small Church School. Probably if they had one swear word in them, they were off limits. Required reading were books like "Pilgrims Progress", The Bible, None of these Diseases, The Bible, and I think Robinson Crusoe was one that was allowed.

My parents often took us to the Public Library, so we did have access there, but nobody pointed me towards the classic books so I didn't even really know about them.

Banned - Not really Theo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I really don't know why the classics were not available, nor required reading at the small Church School. Probably if they had one swear word in them, they were off limits. Required reading were books like "Pilgrims Progress", The Bible, None of these Diseases, The Bible, and I think Robinson Crusoe was one that was allowed.

My parents often took us to the Public Library, so we did have access there, but nobody pointed me towards the classic books so I didn't even really know about them.
    Pilgrims Progress is a classic that I wish all kids would read.

Power CUer
    I tried Pilgrim's Progress as a child (it sounded like fun after I read about the games the March girls played based on it, in Little Women )and found it impenetrable. As an adult, I can follow Bunyan, but I think the allegories are tough going for most children today.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I tried Pilgrim's Progress as a child (it sounded like fun after I read about the games the March girls played based on it, in Little Women )and found it impenetrable. As an adult, I can follow Bunyan, but I think the allegories are tough going for most children today.
    I did a search on it, and I probably read the condensed version. " Pilgrim's Progress in Today's English - as retold by James H. Thomas (ISBN-13: [1]) - Moody Publishers, 1971."

I was exposed to many books.. my parents were both avid readers.. just not all of the same books that the rest of the kids my age were doing book reports on.

My mother read just about the entire series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.. the Little House on the Prairie books, to us chapter by chapter every night before bedtime. I could hardly wait to go to bed, to hear the next chapter.