Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Saturday ain't it funny how time slips away... 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Temps are a little cooler here, but we need rain.

I had to help carry the stretcher for my father-in-law up the hill this evening to get it into an ambulance. He is old and weak and fading fast. The last couple of weeks have been difficult.

It is so hard to see someone who was always the 'go to' guy become old and weak and ill. I can only imagine how it feels to be my father in law. I can only imagine how it feels for my wife to see her Daddy be weak and unable to care for himself. He is totally helpless.

He was a soldier in WW2. He was courageous and strong. He took care of his family. He was a professional. AND, he was a really nice guy.

TOTD: Okay, words fail me now. My Dad died several years ago, but I have this weird belief that when I married my wife, the two of us became one flesh and so her Mom and Dad are parents to me too and I respect and love them the same way I did my natural parents.

My father in law would then be a father to me. I love the guy. He is special to me. I don't know if he will make it, and if he does, who knows how long he will live. But if he dies tonight I feel like it will be a big loss to me. I can't pretend that it will be the same loss to me that it would be to my wife because that is her Daddy we are talking about. These things are painful.

What I hope is that the old guy pulls through and comes home tomorrow. He loves the Braves. What I hope is that he and I will watch a Braves game together and talk and laugh about it.

So, what is the Thought of The Day? I guess it is Time. What is precious about time? What really matters? This is kind of a downer for a daily thread, but, you know, I want to know, what is precious? What is precious to you? Some days or weeks are better than others.

This has been a difficult week for me, but, you know what, some weeks are like that. Probably, some weeks are difficult for you too.

I appreciate you guys. All of you. I hope you have a good week.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Goldwater
    Bubba, I am here for you sir.

TOTD: My thoughts are with you!

Time is precious, indeed! There is no way to regain it, so we must all make the most of it! What makes everything worthwhile to me: Laughter, especially the laughter of a child! IMHO, there is nothing so powerful, so free, so magickal!
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

BD,

Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, bro. Hang tough.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Imagine there is a bank account that credits your account each morning with $86,400. It carries over no balance from day to day.
    Every evening the bank deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use during the day. What would you do? Draw out every cent, of course?
    Each of us has such a bank. It's name is TIME.
    Every morning, it credits you with 86,400 seconds.
    Every night it writes off as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest to a good purpose.
    It carries over no balance. It allows no over draft. Each day it opens a new account for you. Each night it burns the remains of the day.
    If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is yours. There is no drawing against "tomorrow."
    You must live in the present on today's deposits. Invest it so as to get from it the utmost in health, happiness and success!
    The clock is running!! Make the most of today.

To realise the value of one year, ask a student who failed a grade.
    To realise the value of one month, ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.
    To realise the value of one week, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.
    To realise the value of one hour, ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.
    To realise the value of one minute, ask a person who just missed a train.
    To realise the value of one second, ask someone who just avoided an accident.
    To realise the value of one millisecond, ask the person who won a silver medal at the olympics.

Treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with. And remember time waits for no one.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Banned
    Take care of yourself and your family, my man.

TOTD: They say that after a man's father dies, with every sunset that man is reminded of his own mortality. I'm not a very religious person, but there is one book of the Bible that has always, for me, encapsulated both the beauty and the immense sadness of life. When my mother died, I asked that these verses be read at her funeral:

1:4 One generation goes, and another generation comes; but the earth remains forever.
    1:5 The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, and hurries to its place where it rises.
    1:6 The wind goes toward the south, and turns around to the north. It turns around continually as it goes, and the wind returns again to its courses.
    1:7 All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, there they flow Iagain.
    On edit, my final thoughts to you on time, from someone I know you appreciate...

I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
    How far off I sat and wondered
    Started humming a song from 1962
    Ain't it funny how the night moves
    When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
    Strange how the night moves
    With autumn closing in
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 08-09-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Aww, Bubba. Don't really know what to say, except it appears you've been a good son. If your father passes, find comfort in knowing that he knows that.

Bubba, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have the utmost respect for you, loving your in-laws as your own parents. Not many can say that. It's the measure of the person.

Time indeed is fleeting. We need to treasure each day. I just found out that my favorite cousin died yesterday. We'll be going to the wake tomorrow with my sis and BIL. He was a good man, good father, good Lutheran. After he retired, he volunteered for Wings of Hope and travelled to many countries in rescue missions. He had been in the Navy. He was quite a bit older than I, so I didn't really know him when I was a kid.

Bubba, please know how you have helped your wife and family. You'll always have the peace of knowing that you were loving and very good memories of your father-in-law. My dad has been gone a long time, and my mom died in 2001. It seems like forever.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I poem by George Herbert comes to mind

Death

Death, thou wast once an uncouth hideous thing,
    Nothing but bones,
    The sad effect of sadder grones;
    Thy mouth was open, but thou couldst not sing.

For we consider’d thee as at some six
    Or ten yeares hence,
    After the losse of life and sense,
    Flesh being turn’t to dust, and bones to sticks.

We lookt on this side of thee, shooting short;
    Where we did finde
    The shells of fledge souls left behinde,
    Dry dust, which sheds no tears, but may extort.

But since our Saviours death did put some bloud
    Into thy face;
    Thou art grown fair and full of grace,
    Much in request, must sought for as a good.

For we do now behold thee gay and glad,
    As at dooms-day;
    When souls shall wear their new aray,
    And all thy bones with beautie shall be clad.

Therefore we can go die as sleep, and trust
    Half that we have
    Unto an honest faithfull grave;
    Making our pillows either down, or dust.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis