Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58
  1. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    I agree as well. The problem with today's Republican Party "Big Tent" is that so many different viewpoints have been crammed into it, that it finally collapsed in both 2006 and again in 2008. A party that stands for nothing achieves nothing. People like Meg Whitman, Charlie Crist, Olympia Snowe and Sue Collins are part of the problem, NOT the solution. I'm aware that 100% ideological purity is impossible. But running pro-abortion, pro-amnesty, big government, tax hiking politicians as Republicans only makes the party, as a whole, look foolish.

    I don't know what "pro-abortion" means after Roe vs Wade, but the opposite of everything else is fine to me.
    VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter" (Yes I plagiarized this as well)
    DU_Reject:Proud American, staunch anti-socialist, Secular Conservative, two-time bannee from DU!
     

  2. #32  
    Beaten Last Dead Horse
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by DU+NU_Reject View Post
    I don't know what "pro-abortion" means after Roe vs Wade, but the opposite of everything else is fine to me.
    "Pro-Abortion" means that you are in favor of keeping abortion legal. In other words, you could say that you are personally opposed to abortion, but you don't want to outlaw it. Therefore, you support keeping abortion legal; thus you are "pro-abortion".

    Being "Pro-Life" means that you truly rccognize that abortion kills children before birth, and thus, you want to see the practice of abortion outlawed. Therefore, you are "Pro-Life".
     

  3. #33  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    "Pro-Abortion" means that you are in favor of keeping abortion legal. In other words, you could say that you are personally opposed to abortion, but you don't want to outlaw it. Therefore, you support keeping abortion legal; thus you are "pro-abortion".

    Being "Pro-Life" means that you truly rccognize that abortion kills children before birth, and thus, you want to see the practice of abortion outlawed. Therefore, you are "Pro-Life".
    Either way, it's pretty meaningless as a voting issue.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
     

  4. #34  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,380
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Either way, it's pretty meaningless as a voting issue.
    Especially here in California, which the asshole that started this thread would know if he lived here.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
     

  5. #35  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    I agree as well. The problem with today's Republican Party "Big Tent" is that so many different viewpoints have been crammed into it, that it finally collapsed in both 2006 and again in 2008. A party that stands for nothing achieves nothing. People like Meg Whitman, Charlie Crist, Olympia Snowe and Sue Collins are part of the problem, NOT the solution. I'm aware that 100% ideological purity is impossible. But running pro-abortion, pro-amnesty, big government, tax hiking politicians as Republicans only makes the party, as a whole, look foolish.
    My point is more, Pitch the Tent on Fiscally conservative Ideals, and staying the hell away from my bedroom, and keep money out of the support for abortion. I'm very Anti-abortion with the exception of Rape, incest, and to save the mother's life. Roe v. Wade was a shitty ruling and even Deb Roe agrees with that today. However, what is needed is a legislation that stays what is and isn't allowed and is a good law.
     

  6. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    "Pro-Abortion" means that you are in favor of keeping abortion legal. In other words, you could say that you are personally opposed to abortion, but you don't want to outlaw it. Therefore, you support keeping abortion legal; thus you are "pro-abortion".

    Being "Pro-Life" means that you truly rccognize that abortion kills children before birth, and thus, you want to see the practice of abortion outlawed. Therefore, you are "Pro-Life".
    I'm not pro-children, anyways...;)
    VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter" (Yes I plagiarized this as well)
    DU_Reject:Proud American, staunch anti-socialist, Secular Conservative, two-time bannee from DU!
     

  7. #37  
    Beaten Last Dead Horse
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    My point is more, Pitch the Tent on Fiscally conservative Ideals, and staying the hell away from my bedroom, and keep money out of the support for abortion. I'm very Anti-abortion with the exception of Rape, incest, and to save the mother's life. Roe v. Wade was a shitty ruling and even Deb Roe agrees with that today. However, what is needed is a legislation that stays what is and isn't allowed and is a good law.
    If the only thing that the Republican Party stood for was cutting taxes and shrinking government, and they totally abandoned the social issues, then I couldn't possibly see myself voting Republican anymore. I couldn't vote DemocRAT either, so I would probably not vote at all.

    It's the social conservatives in the Republican Party that make me side with Republicans most of the time. If the Republicans abandon the social issues, the message becomes too hollow for me to even consider. Don't get me wrong, I like having my taxes cut and I like my government small. But that alone just isn't enough to get me to vote Republican.
     

  8. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    If the only thing that the Republican Party stood for was cutting taxes and shrinking government, and they totally abandoned the social issues, then I couldn't possibly see myself voting Republican anymore. I couldn't vote DemocRAT either, so I would probably not vote at all.
    You'll probably have to stop voting at some point in the future anyways... why be pretensious about it? :D
    VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter" (Yes I plagiarized this as well)
    DU_Reject:Proud American, staunch anti-socialist, Secular Conservative, two-time bannee from DU!
     

  9. #39  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Either way, it's pretty meaningless as a voting issue.
    I disagree. We would not have laws limiting partial birth abortions if it was meaningless as a voting issue. It depends upon the race as to whether or not it's a viable issue.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
     

  10. #40  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    If the only thing that the Republican Party stood for was cutting taxes and shrinking government, and they totally abandoned the social issues, then I couldn't possibly see myself voting Republican anymore. I couldn't vote DemocRAT either, so I would probably not vote at all.
    That's just plain stoopid.
    It's the social conservatives in the Republican Party that make me side with Republicans most of the time. If the Republicans abandon the social issues, the message becomes too hollow for me to even consider. Don't get me wrong, I like having my taxes cut and I like my government small. But that alone just isn't enough to get me to vote Republican.
    That's asinine. You'd spite yourself and do without because you can't get the whole cake? Sometimes you have to get your cake one slice at a time.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •