Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tropical Storm May Threaten BP’s Spill Cleanup, Disperse Oil 
    Tropical Storm May Threaten BP’s Spill Cleanup, Disperse Oil

June 22, 2010, 7:19 AM EDT

June 22 (Bloomberg) -- The first storm of the Atlantic hurricane season may enter the Gulf of Mexico as soon as next week, possibly disrupting BP Plc’s efforts to clean up the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Thunderstorms in the Caribbean may strengthen into a tropical storm this week before heading into the Gulf between Mexico and Cuba, said Jim Rouiller, a senior energy meteorologist at Planalytics Inc. in Berwyn, Pennsylvania.

“The first named tropical storm of the 2010 season appears more likely to form over the northwestern Caribbean late this week and will go on to represent a formidable threat to the Gulf, along with heightening concerns about the oil slick,” Rouiller said in an e-mail yesterday.

Forecasters are predicting this year’s Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, may be among the most active on record and hamper the U.K. oil company’s efforts to plug the leaking well. AccuWeather Inc. forecast at least three storms will move through the region affected by the spill.

Scientists don’t agree on the effect of storms on oil spills. While hampering capping operations, the extra mixing and wave action from a storm may break down the oil in a more effective and less harmful way than chemical dispersants, Norm Duke, a senior research fellow at University of Queensland’s Marine Botany Group in Australia, said in an e-mail.

The benefits of a storm breaking up the oil naturally would likely be outweighed by spreading it further and preventing work to stop the leak, according to Darren Kindleysides, director of the Australian Marine Conservation Society.

Ocean currents may also have an impact on the oil that is polluting the Gulf of Mexico, according to a computer simulation by National Center for Atmospheric Research scientists. A model of regional currents showed the potential for some of the oil to reach the Atlantic Ocean, scientists said in a June 3 press release.
    Business Week

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    From what I've been following the storm has little spin to it as of now and that's why it isn't developing. Anything could happen but it looks like it'll drop a ton of rain on Haiti for certain. Other than that...

Too early to tell.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Just wait and see this will get blamed on global warming.

I checked some things this morning. The Subtropical ridge is still pretty strong. From what I could tell the steering should take it towards Mexico/Texas keeping it clear of the worst of the spill.

But for a week or two out, I can't really say with any certainty.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Sonnabend
    Just wait and see this will get blamed on global warming.
    Why not, they blame it for everything else.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Here's a pic from Weather Underground

It's picked up speed again, they were saying it was gonna slow down. Still pretty disorganized, just a rain maker.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Yeah, nothing to see yet. I'm sure one will happen this season, and it'll be interesting to see the havoc it plays.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Hrm...

Brewing Tropical Gulf Storm + millions of gallons of crude in the surf + ignition source = hurricane made of fire?

I have no ill will toward the people in the Gulf Coast states, but I'd pay money to see that.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Hrm...

Brewing Tropical Gulf Storm + millions of gallons of crude in the surf + ignition source = hurricane made of fire?

I have no ill will toward the people in the Gulf Coast states, but I'd pay money to see that.
    While I'm no expert on tropical meteorology, my gut tells me you'd be wasting your money.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    While I'm no expert on tropical meteorology, my gut tells me you'd be wasting your money.
    Well, a man's got have his dreams right?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense