Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Probably the first thing I've ever agreed with you on.
    Plus, hey, Obama is replacing him with General "Betray Us" - this might generate a semi-interesting response from the far left blogosphere.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

I wonder if Barry wet himself when he fired him?
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig

While it is not unusual for a general to be relieved of a duty it is unusual for that Generals Boss to be selected to replace hime.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I saw this article posted on another forum - it's a Newsweek interview of
    the Rolling Stone reporter on the backstory of how the article came about:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/22/r...interview.html

General McChrystal was my Battalion Commander at one point in my life and at another point in my career I was a worker bee on his staff. I'm proud to be one of his has beens rather than a never was.

From his bio "He runs seven to eight miles a day, eats one meal, and sleeps for four hours a night." If you don't know what makes guys like this tick then I can't explain it to you. You'll never get it.

I also heard a commenter today say that in contrast to General MCrystal, General Petraeus was a "Gentleman first and then a warrior." Friends we have met the enemy and it is us.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I saw this article posted on another forum - it's a Newsweek interview of
    the Rolling Stone reporter on the backstory of how the article came about:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/22/r...interview.html
    Like I said in another thread; A rat in the Eagles nest. I see the Taliban is pleased today.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    McChrystal voted for Obama and deserves what he gets.
    Do you have a source other than the Hastings piece in Rolling Stone? Do you believe Hastings knows who McChrystal voted for? Is Hastings a reliable reporter? He writes that the surge began in 2006 and that McChrystal was "Regimental" Commander of 3rd Ranger "Battalion." That is factually wrong. How many other errors did he make?

It's all water under the bridge now, but....

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Do you have a source other than the Hastings piece in Rolling Stone? Do you believe Hastings knows who McChrystal voted for? Is Hastings a reliable reporter? He writes that the surge began in 2006 and that McChrystal was "Regimental" Commander of 3rd Ranger "Battalion." That is factually wrong. How many other errors did he make?

It's all water under the bridge now, but....
    I either heard it from Quinn & Rose today or Mark Levin I don't remember which.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I downloaded the article here.
    Thanks for the article EVERYONE should read. The Fifth Column won one today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Thank you Odysseus for posting the link. Up to this point I haven't read much about McChrystal. I agree with many, that submitting to the interview with Rolling Stone was probably bad judgement regardless of the severity of what was said. I had heard many compare this situation to Truman and MacArthur, and even though I haven't read the full text of the interview yet, I'm quite sure that's just extreme hyperbole and exaggeration. However, Obama is Commander in Chief, and it's within his power to hire or fire whom he sees fit to fill that role.
    I don't know that there was an interview. Here's a very interesting take on how this went down:

Something’s Wrong with the McChrystal Slam Dunk
    By Larry Johnson
    Email: larry_johnson@earthlink.net
    Site: http://NoQuarterUSA.net

I realize General McChrystal is already tried and convicted in the court of public opinion. The lazy fucking media reports, “GENERAL MCCHRYSTAL SAID . . .” but, if you take time to read the article, McChrystal is not quoted once saying anything disparaging about anyone up his chain of command. Several guys who work on his staff are talking shit, but not Stan. Now, I’m not excusing Stan McChrystal for hiring those assholes or not riding herd on them, but I’m troubled by a key unanswered question–who made the decision to let the Rolling Stone reporter embed with McChrystal?

This was a set up of General McChrystal. While I’m not a personal friend, I worked under his command for several years and know that he frowned on sharing anything with the media. In fact, I’m certain he did not invite the Rolling Stone reporter into his lair. So he did? Was this one of his over zealous staff or was he ordered by someone higher up to give the reporter access?

Yes it is true that McChrystal is apologizing for the information in the article. I know why.

I spend a significant amount of time each year working with U.S. military forces that have the counter terrorism mission. They talk alot of shit when they are among friends. Some of it is rude. Much of it is blue. And it, within the context, is funny as hell. It is a way of blowing off steam. When you put men (and the forces I’m with are 100% male, no females) who are working in life and death situations on a 24/7 basis they do need to blow off steam. Unfortunately, these guys are not President Obama. They can’t play golf when it suits them. They can’t invite Paul McCartney in to sing “Hey Jude.” They can’t host the NCAA Men and Women’s Basketball Champs for a meet and greet. Instead they use crude humor as a release. You get a flavor of that in the Rolling Stone article.

More importantly, they make jokes about political figures and leaders. But it is supposed to be kept in-house. They’ll follow Obama’s orders but they don’t like nor respect him. That’s the reality and some of those feelings expressed by subordinates of McChrystal got out into public.

So far Obama has played this event pretty cool. He’s trying to act Presidential. Good. Let’s see what happens tomorrow. If McChrystal shows up with resignation in-hand and Obama accepts it then McChrystal will soon be outside of the tent pissing in. I don’t think Obama wants that nightmare. Alternatively Obama can refuse to accept the resignation and then, in a gesture magnanimity, forgives McChrystal and sends him back to the fight. If he does the latter it will boost Obama’s standing. American’s love it when a President, like a Roman Emperor at a gladiator circus, gives the thumbs up and saves a warrior.

Meanwhile, this does not answer the question–who let the enemy in the tent?

UPDATE: Here’s what I think happened. Rolling Stone asked someone at the White House or DOD for permission to do a piece on the counter insurgency progress in Afghanistan. McChrystal was told to let the reporter accompany them. He thought that the piece being done was on the counter insurgency. Boy, was he wrong. What he did not count on was that the reporter would choose to focus on the remarks made by staff members. As Politico has reported, Rolling Stone never ran the whole article by McChrystal and his team. The rest of the media needs to ask the more important question I raised above, “Who put the reporter in the McChrystal camp?”
    Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    General McChrystal was my Battalion Commander at one point in my life and at another point in my career I was a worker bee on his staff. I'm proud to be one of his has beens rather than a never was.

From his bio "He runs seven to eight miles a day, eats one meal, and sleeps for four hours a night." If you don't know what makes guys like this tick then I can't explain it to you. You'll never get it.

I also heard a commenter today say that in contrast to General MCrystal, General Petraeus was a "Gentleman first and then a warrior." Friends we have met the enemy and it is us.
    I've never heard a bad thing said about the man before this comes out, but I'm not in the SOF community so I wouldn't be in the know, but from everything that I've heard, he was a truly gifted commander and a stand up guy. The article makes it clear (unintentionally) that he had a great rapport with his staff and counterparts everywhere but at the State Department (which has a history of using leaks to sink their rivals). Just a thought, but you can generally tell who a reporter used as a source in this kind of article, as the source is the one who comes out smelling like a rose while everyone else is painted as manure. Given that the article gives high marks to Hillary and goes out of its way to slam Holbrooke and Eikenberry, it strikes me that this could have originated at Foggy Bottom as a means of giving State a greater role in Afghanistan and getting rid of problematical staffers who have run afoul of Hillary.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!