Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    McChrystal is not quoted once saying anything disparaging about anyone up his chain of command. Several guys who work on his staff are talking shit, but not Stan.
    That's an interesting point, one that I noticed as well.
    The President and the General represent two very different cultures. I noticed that the biased author begins his piece with a description of Stan's tastes, and his rejection of "Gucci" french wining and dining. In the world of the left, that's indicative of a put down. It's supposed to show that he's unsophisticated.

Now the RS writer and Obama might look down at the military culture, but the truth is that much of it shares more in common with McCrystal than it does with either of them. You might not like their tastes, but their personalites make them a perfect fit for the messy job they have to do.

Two questions stand out in my mind. First, if there's a strong sentiment against the COIN strategy in the administration, then what good does it do to put in charge the man who basically wrote the guide book for it?

Second, - and I admit I'm from an Air Force background, so perhaps I don't understand everything about ground ops -- but why in the world do you go to such great lengths to publicize the start time of a major military operation?, such as the one in Kandahar?
    Last edited by Lager; 06-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Second, - and I admit I'm from an Air Force background, so perhaps I don't understand everything about ground ops -- but why in the world do you go to such great lengths to publicize the start time of a major military operation?, such as the one in Kandahar?
    That one is easy. You have a bunch of political dunces and Pentagon desk jockeys running the show. Giving the enemy advance warning so that we do not kill a few precious civilians while putting our own troops in more danger is nuts. Publicizing targets, nation building, training lazy Afghans, and dealing with a totally corrupt government is not a way to win a war in my opinion.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 06-24-2010 at 07:37 PM.