Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 15,000 Progressive Activists in Detroit: Why No Media or Respect? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

annabanana (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-27-10 05:46 AM
    Original message 15,000 Progressive Activists in Detroit: Why No Media or Respect?

http://www.alternet.org/story/147341/the_u.s._social_fo...

Itís not surprising that the mainstream media is paying little attention to the 15,000-plus community organizers and progressive activists gathered in Detroit, Michigan this week for the second United States Social Forum. After all, the center-left political establishment isnít paying attention either
    Gee anna, do you really think the planet care 2 shits about a motley collection of smelly hippies and wannabe Obama's????

:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Anna, their busy paying attention to all the Progressives in Toronto rioting right now.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Who wants to cover a bunch Moonbats shouting " BIGGER GOVERNMENT!!! MORE TAXES !!!! BIGGER GOVERNMENT !!! MORE TAXES !!!!"
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Well, I seem to recall this in several of my newspapers this morning.

Environmentalists march in protest of Detroit incinerator
    Christine Ferretti / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Close to a thousand of Detroit residents as well as local and national environmental advocates assembled this morning for a peaceful march near Detroit's incinerator to urge city leaders to put an end to "dirty energy" and go green.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0s4u9ufEq
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Well, I seem to recall this in several of my newspapers this morning.
    Damn, I first read that as: Environmentalists march in protest into Detroit incinerator

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Damn, I first read that as: Environmentalists march in protest into Detroit incinerator
    Shame you got it wrong.:(
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

From the newspaper article:

"We are asking (city leaders) to stop incineration fully and create a new plan for waste disposal," Maxey said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0s5ZGRFUy

"Stop what I don't like!". "Create a plan I'll like, because I don't have one"

Such an obvious deep understanding of the technical logistics surrounding this issue...

With such critical thought, I'm sure the quoted activist can give a glowing estimate of the number of "green jobs" that will be created as well.

Damn, I can't believe these can even take each other seriously. Can they fuckin' hear what they're saying?!!!!

They can just start dumping all the garbage in the Great Lakes. Give these new asian carp something to eat.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

My opinion on the incinerator is this:

It seems to cause an inordinate amount of asthma on the east side of Detroit. I don't know genetics, I don't know if african-americans are perhaps more prone to asthma than other groups, but that is what I've observed from years of working with kids and families in that specific area.

However, the main problem is not burning garbage, it's burning things that should be separated out for recycling. Because the city of Detroit does not have a recycling program, old batteries, plastic containers, etc., get burned with the organic garbage, which by itself doesn't put dangerous chemicals in the air. When the city built the incinerator, Coleman Young was mayor. I think the only Michigan city at that time that had a fully operational recycling program was Ann Arbor, which is hippie central. The thinking was that burning was cheaper and more politically expedient than building more landfills.

Oh, c'mon. If you were a lily-white reporter, used to first class travel and accomodations, and afraid of actually being within strangling distance of the people that you pretend to care about, would you go to Detroit? Slums are good enough to Community Organizers, but not for journalists. Now, if the Obama-wannabes were meeting in NYC or Los Angeles (or, ideally, the French Riviera or a private island somewhere) the media would be all over it.

"Oh, waiter! Another one of these lovely umbrella drinks, por favor, and put it on my expense acount. No, no tip. You made me wait for almost a minute! Oh, all right, here's a quarter. Don't spend it all in one place... Now, where was I? Oh yes, we must maintain our solidarity with working people of color..."
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!