Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What's he complaining about? I don't know why all 50MM need food stamps, but they're getting assistance aren't they?. Economic terrorism? Corporations starving people?. Blather.

midnight (1000+ posts) Sat Jun-26-10 11:51 PM
    Original message 50,000,000 people are on food stamps. 1 in 5 families can't afford food.
    Oh the drama. the horror. Wait! If they are starving, where are all the bodies? Where's the stench? Maybe these numbers came from the excess 30 million that the libertards dreamed up that didn't have health iinsurance.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Oh the drama. the horror. Wait! If they are starving, where are all the bodies? Where's the stench? Maybe these numbers came from the excess 30 million that the libertards dreamed up that didn't have health iinsurance.
    Remember when Mitch Snyder came up with the statistic, dutifully reported by the media, that a homeless person died every 45 seconds in the US? It added up to 4 every 3 minutes, or 40 every half-hour, 80 per hour. That's 1,920 per day, or 700,800 per year. If almost 3/4 of a million homeless were dying annually, they'd have had to stack the bodies like cordwood. And since the US death totals back then were about 2.1 million, that means that roughly one death in three was a homeless person. The numbers were obviously screwed up, but the liberals never questioned them.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    I get pissed when I see Katrina beauties loading up their grocery carts with expensive cuts of meat like loin pork chops, rump roast, etc and pay with food stamps. This program should be cut back. Conversely, I donate several hundred bucks a year to the food bank. Feeding the homeless is one program I do support.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No kidding. The only 'starving children' in this country are locked in apartments by their neglectful, drug-addicted or plain old psycho parents.

The whole food stamp thing is a massive corporate welfare subsidy anyway. By hiking up the income level at which benefits kick in, the government can pretend it needs to extend protection to the huge corporations that produce excess food crops and excess food production at artificially low prices.

It probably cost more to feed a dog in 1970 (as a percentage of take-home pay) than it costs to feed an adult today.

And the only starving children of drug-addicted or psycho parents are those with no extended family or community support. Lots of kids depend on the kindness of their aunts, uncles and friends' parents for food. In a big city like Detroit, even with all the faults and poverty, there are numerous soup kitchens and food distribution programs that are provided with food from churches, mosques and synagogs all over the metropolitan area. There's WIC for little kids and school lunch programs for bigger kids.

I've seen people load up their carts with better stuff than I buy and pay with food stamps. Unlike them, I earn my money so I have to budget myself. My wife diligently clips coupons. Pay attention next time you grocery shop and notice that anyone using food stamps never uses coupons. We buy what's on sale and we tend to buy private label a lot. There are some things that I buy name brands of like bread and such. As for the obesity thing, it has nothing to do with the food and everything to do with laziness. You can eat the weird powdered mac and cheese and still be thin. You just don't chow down the entire box then sit around playing games on your PS3(which "poor" people do own). But these people do buy a lot of prepared foods. Personally, I can make a pot of spaghetti sauce(gravy as we call it in my neck of the woods) and stretch it to 3 meals easily and it would be cheaper than buying a jar of prepared sauce. But, no, people are poor because they want to be, IMO.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    50 million? Then the majority of these people are cheating US the taxpayer.
    I was just thinking about that number. I'm supposed to sit here with a straight face and believe nearly 20% of the entire country is below the poverty line?

A single person is living below the poverty line if their income is less than $10,830 per year. A minimum wage job at 40 hours per week pays $15,080 per year, before taxes (which will get totally refunded).

Translation: More lazy fucks want the Government to sneak their grubby hands into the pockets of people who actually get off their ass and work and hand them a freebie.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

It's like the supposed hunger problem in this country. How these polls are conducted is someone contacts you and asks you if you ate dinner last night. If you say yes, then you're put down as not going to bed hungry. If you say no, then you're put in the hungry column even if by no you meant that you went to the ball game and ate hotdogs and beer instead of a traditional regular sit down dinner. Or if you say you ate lunch and dinner but no breakfast then you go into the column of not having enough to eat yesterday. It's skewed to the point of ridiculousness.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I've seen people load up their carts with better stuff than I buy and pay with food stamps.
    Amen, NJ. Ever since I started working for Turkey Hill I've really started to see just how many people leech off of food stamps. 9 times out of 10, they aren't buying eggs, bread, milk, cheese, vegetables, etc....they're buying chips, soda, slushies and ice cream. I have a woman who's a repeat customer who drives a newer car than mine, wears designer clothes and shoes, carries a Coach purse and then whips out her "ACCESS" card to buy cheese doodles.

In Pennsylvania, the EBT card is called the "ACCESS" card. You know why? Because it allows you to access someone else's hard earned money.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Some of these libs really need to take a trip to Africa or the Philippines or Indonesia and get a true taste of what it is like to be poor and hungry. We don't have poor people in America, we have people who don't have as much as others, but these people are rich compared to most of the world's truly poor.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis