Thread: 50,000,000 people are on food stamps. 1 in 5 families can't afford food.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Some of these libs really need to take a trip to Africa or the Philippines or Indonesia and get a true taste of what it is like to be poor and hungry. We don't have poor people in America, we have people who don't have as much as others, but these people are rich compared to most of the world's truly poor.
    There's a quote I use often and it comes from Denesh D'Souza's book What's So Great About America. He was in India where people were in the process of moving to America and he asked one man why he wanted to move to America and the response he got was "Because I want to go where the poor people are fat." Speaks volumes, no?
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Amen, NJ. Ever since I started working for Turkey Hill I've really started to see just how many people leech off of food stamps. 9 times out of 10, they aren't buying eggs, bread, milk, cheese, vegetables, etc....they're buying chips, soda, slushies and ice cream. I have a woman who's a repeat customer who drives a newer car than mine, wears designer clothes and shoes, carries a Coach purse and then whips out her "ACCESS" card to buy cheese doodles.

In Pennsylvania, the EBT card is called the "ACCESS" card. You know why? Because it allows you to access someone else's hard earned money.

Ours are called Bridge cards. I watched a store clerk once sell liquor to the customer in front of me who was using her EBT card. I asked the clerk "Did my eyes deceive me, or did you just sell liquor to someone who paid with a Bridge card?". She told me she wasn't allowed to discuss previous transactions with other customers, so I flashed my work id at her. You should have seen the look on her face. I told her she could have cost her employer some big-time fines and other problems for her actions, and if I worked for the inspector's office, that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    There's a quote I use often and it comes from Denesh D'Souza's book What's So Great About America. He was in India where people were in the process of moving to America and he asked one man why he wanted to move to America and the response he got was "Because I want to go where the poor people are fat." Speaks volumes, no?
    That is the way it is. People think that some people have it bad here, but there are very few people in America that have it as bad as many other places in the world. If a person is hungry in America, they just aren't trying to find anything to eat. Most towns and cities have food kitchens sponsored by churches and charities that will provide a couple of free meals a day.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    "did you just sell liquor to someone who paid with a Bridge card?"
    I know for a fact the ones on cash assistance can use their card to buy cigarettes here in Pa. That's just bull. The medical assistance they qualify for will give free smoking cessation aides like nicotine patches, so why the hell should the taxpayer foot the bill for a pack of Newports?

(I'm trying to kick the habit myself, so please don't feel like I'm beating on my fellow tokers. :p)

P.S. Just as a humorous side-note, the Maryland EBT card is called the "INDEPENDENCE" card. Nothing like gubbment "charity" to make you feel independent.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

P.S. Just as a humorous side-note, the Maryland EBT card is called the "INDEPENDENCE" card. Nothing like gubbment "charity" to make you feel independent.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

Orwell was a fucking prophet, no?
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Ours are called Bridge cards. I watched a store clerk once sell liquor to the customer in front of me who was using her EBT card. I asked the clerk "Did my eyes deceive me, or did you just sell liquor to someone who paid with a Bridge card?". She told me she wasn't allowed to discuss previous transactions with other customers, so I flashed my work id at her. You should have seen the look on her face. I told her she could have cost her employer some big-time fines and other problems for her actions, and if I worked for the inspector's office, that would be the case.
    Now THAT'S a bouncy I can believe in.

CueSi approves.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

When Giuliani became Mayor of NYC, one of his first acts was to crack down on fraud in the Food Stamp program. They did an investigation and discovered that 25% of the small stores in Manhattan that accepted Food Stamps had little or no stock, they just paid cash for them and then resold them. He also eliminated help desks that were fraud facilitation sites, instead requiring that applicants show up in person and be fingerprinted. These simple actions, which should not have deterred honest people who were in need of the program, reduced the number of people in the programs dramatically, with an accompanying drop in the city's crime and poverty rates. It seems that, when cut off from benefits, most recipients decided that they could work after all. NYC's welfare rolls dropped from over a million under Dinkins, to just over 600,000 under Giuliani, within three years. Of course, to the media and the left, Rudy was the villain of the piece for actually cracking down on fraud, which is odd, because whenever liberals promise to save money by ending fraud, waste and abuse, they're considered heroes. Go figure.
    I know for a fact the ones on cash assistance can use their card to buy cigarettes here in Pa. That's just bull. The medical assistance they qualify for will give free smoking cessation aides like nicotine patches, so why the hell should the taxpayer foot the bill for a pack of Newports?
    Nicotine patches have very mixed results. For one thing, they won't stay lit, no matter how hard you puff on them. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    When Giuliani became Mayor of NYC, one of his first acts was to crack down on fraud in the Food Stamp program. They did an investigation and discovered that 25% of the small stores in Manhattan that accepted Food Stamps had little or no stock, they just paid cash for them and then resold them. He also eliminated help desks that were fraud facilitation sites, instead requiring that applicants show up in person and be fingerprinted. These simple actions, which should not have deterred honest people who were in need of the program, reduced the number of people in the programs dramatically, with an accompanying drop in the city's crime and poverty rates. It seems that, when cut off from benefits, most recipients decided that they could work after all. NYC's welfare rolls dropped from over a million under Dinkins, to just over 600,000 under Giuliani, within three years. Of course, to the media and the left, Rudy was the villain of the piece for actually cracking down on fraud, which is odd, because whenever liberals promise to save money by ending fraud, waste and abuse, they're considered heroes. Go figure.

The EBT cards are supposed to eliminate a lot of the problems from the old food stamp program-like the fact that you had to give change that was less than a dollar back as real coins that could then be spent on anything. But I was surprised that the store's computer allowed it-the same store's computer system won't register an acohol sale without a birthdate for the customer. At the very least, the store should ring the liquor up separately and make the people pay cash for it.

The other lie that is implicit in the DU article is that it implies that people who recieve food stamps "can't afford to buy food". There is always a group of working poor, who get food stamp benefits, because they work hard, but don't make enough to cover all of their family's expenses. They don't get any other welfare except food stamps and medicaid, and maybe some day care assistance. They are not getting a cash welfare check, though, and that is an important difference. They will usually work themselves out of that eligibility in a few years, if they keep at it and don't get pregnant. They're the people going through temporary setbacks, not the leeches.

The EBT cards are supposed to eliminate a lot of the problems from the old food stamp program-like the fact that you had to give change that was less than a dollar back as real coins that could then be spent on anything. But I was surprised that the store's computer allowed it-the same store's computer system won't register an acohol sale without a birthdate for the customer. At the very least, the store should ring the liquor up separately and make the people pay cash for it.

The other lie that is implicit in the DU article is that it implies that people who recieve food stamps "can't afford to buy food". There is always a group of working poor, who get food stamp benefits, because they work hard, but don't make enough to cover all of their family's expenses. They don't get any other welfare except food stamps and medicaid, and maybe some day care assistance. They are not getting a cash welfare check, though, and that is an important difference. They will usually work themselves out of that eligibility in a few years, if they keep at it and don't get pregnant. They're the people going through temporary setbacks, not the leeches.
    It depends on how the program is administered. In NYC, the leeches took over the program when it became apparent that the city would not investigate fraud. When Rudy imposed some basic control measures, the rolls dropped dramatically as the leeches were removed. Simple fingerprinting eliminated thousands of recipients who held multiple accounts in the system. Sadly, the current NYC government is trying to return to the pre-Rudy era and eliminate his anti-fraud measures. They complain that there aren't enough people in the program, as if the success of it were determined by how many people depend on it, rather than how many people no longer need it. Liberals...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!