Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 42% of Americans consider themselves conservative, only 20% say they're liberal (Gall 
    Drunken Irishman (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-25-10 04:15 PM
    Original message
    42% of Americans consider themselves conservative, only 20% say they're liberal (Gallup).
    Advertisements [?]
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/141032/2010-Conservatives-Ou...

We can poo-poo these numbers all we want, but it's what I've suspected for a while now - Americans aren't liberal.

A great deal are moderate, but as it's been since at least the 80s, more Americans identify themselves as conservative than liberal. And it isn't even close.

You can blame whomever you want, but this is ultimately what Pres. Obama is facing.

Which puts into perspective his pragmatism.

Now it's safe to say Americans are disillusioned by the definition of liberal - but after watching how many Americans seem content with Republican control, I'm not so sure there is a disconnect there.

We're just a conservative nation. And we're lucky to have elected a president who at least can represent a great deal of liberal values.

Because if these demographic numbers are right, it's surprising we even have Democratic presidents.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...mesg_id=355534

I can see why considering that DUmmyland is the prime example of liberalism.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

That's probably one of the most intelligent posts I've ever seen made there. I bet teeth are gnashing pretty hard right now.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

And we're lucky to have elected a president who at least can represent a great deal of liberal values.
    Liberals have no values. That's the problem.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Some of Duers don't believe it ( Its a lie! Its a lie! Everyone thinks like us!), or its the old ( Its the media's fault) , or even ( People in America aren't as enlightened and informed as us; I wish had been born in Europe).

Moderates and Indepdents are the swing voters, but these are the same people that Moonbats sh*t on everyday, then expect them to love the Moonbats to death for sh*tting on them
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Arugula Latte (1000+ posts) Sat Jun-26-10 04:02 AM
    Response to Reply #480.

Me too.Wish I'd been born in Europe. Too bad my ancestors emigrated to this country
    The depths of their ignorance and the over-eagerness to bad mouth this country go hand in hand.
    How about thinking of why your ancestors might have uprooted, crossed an ocean and taken such a risk to come here at that time? Gee, why would anyone want to leave such a fine utopia as Europe.

Why do they think Clinton shifted to the center in order to elected and then re-elected?True liberals who run as true liberals don't get elected in nation wide votes. Kerry and Gore ran as libs and popped out deep to left field both times.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Arugula Latte (1000+ posts) Sat Jun-26-10 04:02 AM
    Response to Reply #480.

Me too.Wish I'd been born in Europe. Too bad my ancestors emigrated to this country
    And we're even keeping her here against her will! What evil conservatives we are!

BTW, is it just me, or is the thought of an arugula latte really disgusting? :eek:
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Pirate Smile (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-25-10 04:19 PM
    Response to Original message
    3. Liberal has been smeared to have a negative connotation to a lot of people while

conservative has not.

Republicans have spent decades demonizing "liberals".

Ready4Change (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-25-10 04:27 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    10. Exactly.

Decades of well funded, persistent, propaganda. Ironically, much of it coming from the so-called 'liberal media.'

Do these people live on the same planet I do? Are they just idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Do these people live on the same planet I do? Are they just idiots?
    Yes and yes.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Yes and yes.
    Thank you. :D