Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Sleeping with" Sunday 
    Banned
    Beautiful morning here in the megalopolis, with lots of sun and just the first hint of "winter comin' on." We've had a lot of rain here this week in Southern New England and it's supposed to rain again this afternoon and all day tomorrow (for my drive back to Boston).

It got my replacement laptop yesterday (a T61) and have been working all weekend to set it up (computers often seem to require more care and maintenance than they're worth). I spent the entire week at the client's site with a cheap loaner on which I didn't have admin privileges and couldn't switch on the wifi. This left me on the hotel at night without access to the internets (other than my Blackberry), as the ES only has wireless in the rooms. Couple that fact with being in the whitebread Beantown 'burb and I ended up doing a lot of readinjg and watching a lot of TV. One show that seems to be on all the time is the original Law and Order.

On one of these, some broad is murdered and the eventual killer is revealed at one point to have had an affair with her. When questioned, he claims the affair had ended and, when she was killed, they were "just friends." Of course, he's the immediate prime suspect as that situation seems so ridiculously implausible. I was reminded of a trailer for some TV show in which a man and a woman are conversing and she asks him, "What do you call people you go out with but don't intend to sleep with?" to which he replies "Men?".

I was also reminded of a movie that became at one time the anthem of my generation in which the major characters all desire to sleep with friends from long ago, i.e., each other.

The movie provides an interesting contrast in the (implied) results of the culmination of these desires between the two couples who do. Literature, as well as popular culture, is rife with this theme of suppressed and sometimes fulfilled desire toward friends and the consequences of such. Jake Barnes in Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises longs for Brett Ashley but, due to his injuries from WWI is unable to fulfill that desire:

"Oh, Jake," Brett said, "we could have had such a damned good time together."

Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.

"Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"
    Willam Hurt's character in The Big Chill, clearly modeled on Barnes, is similarly incapable of satisfying his desire for Chloe:

Sam Weber: I'm hungry. I had this really dirty dream.
    Nick: Was it about Karen?
    Sam Weber: Why do you say that?
    Nick: Why should anything have changed?
    Sam Weber: You're the one she always wanted.
    Nick: In the old days, I wasn't emotionally equipped to satisfy her. Now, as we all know, the equipment doesn't work at all.
    Sam Weber: [wincing] Why do we have to talk about that?
    All of this leads, AS YOU KNEW IT WOULD, to the...

TOTD: Have you ever been friends with someone with whom you had previously had an extended intimate relation (not a one night stand for all you loose, immoral people out there who would even contemplate such a thing)? if so, did the previous relationship make the friendship uncomfortable? Was that person also included in social activities with the person with whom you were then having an intimate relationship?

For me, the short answer is "No." I can't image why I would do such a thing. What's the point?

As I'm short of pictures for this thread, and given the general topic of people with whom you long to sleep, I thought I'd post a completely gratuitous picture of ...

:D

Mods: I see there's a typo in my title. Could someone please correct it? Thanks...
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 08-10-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Tried to edit title: cant: spelling already fixed?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I'm doing last minute cleaning before the in laws show up. Would it be rude of me to just sit in my room and read the whole day?:p

TOTD: I still talk to my ex husband frequently. I like him much more now than I did when we were married. We don't ever see each other though. I don't like him that much.:D
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm doing last minute cleaning before the in laws show up. Would it be rude of me to just sit in my room and read the whole day?:p

TOTD: I still talk to my ex husband frequently. I like him much more now than I did when we were married. We don't ever see each other though. I don't like him that much.:D
    I considered excluding ex's with whom you have children as the child typically forms a definitive reason to continue the relationship in some way. My ex is a nice woman but I haven't seen or spoken with her in ages.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I considered excluding ex's with whom you have children as the child typically forms a definitive reason to continue the relationship in some way. My ex is a nice woman but I haven't seen or spoken with her in ages.
    He's not Tristan's father.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

CW,

I am thinking you should cull together all your Sunday Threads into a book and call it...ummm...Musing by a Cold Warrior...or something like that. I hate to say this, but besides Bubba Dawg, I look forward to what you have to say (no offense to anyone else of the Day-Threaders).

TOTD: Like you, CW, I don't see the point. I understand my wife's response and I am totally OK with that, of course. But for me personally, once a relationship is over, it is over. I see no need to remain "friends" or anything of the sort. And NOT just because Shannon wouldn't let me! :p
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

People here are saying summer is over but I refuse to believe it. We are in for a week of rain.:(No swimming, wahhhh!

TOTD: NoyFB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    People here are saying summer is over but I refuse to believe it. We are in for a week of rain.:(No swimming, wahhhh!

TOTD: NoyFB.

Ahh, the charm and gentility of a Southern Lady. You must have been taking lessons from your fellow swampland vulgarian.

Power CUer
    TOTD: There have been a few times that I stayed friends with people I slept with, because the friendship was the primary relationship and the sex was very tangential, and temporary.

Banned - Not really Theo
    TOTD: I've never stayed in one place long enough for this to be a possibility. This rolling stone never gathered any moss.
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-10-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Hey CW, Blackberry has some very good PAM software (phone as modem) that allows you to use your BB as a broadband modem for a laptop. Well, actually I got mine from my carrier which is Sprint but I am sure other carriers have similar. The bandwidth is usually only about 400k but thats generally ok when I am in the field.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. -Robert Heinlein"