Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    I thought you guys were all about states' rights? What happened?
    The states have the right to attempt to repeal the 2nd amendment if 3/4ths of all of them vote to do so. That about sums up their rights in this case.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Well, you can get one under Michigan law, but only after you get a license. MCL 28.422 requires that a person "shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol." These licenses are issued by the local police or, if the town doesn't have it's own police, then by the county sheriff. After you've waited the mandatory however long that takes, made sure that your permits are in order and ingratiated yourself to the local PD, you may have that gun in time for your Next of Kin to avenge you.
    there are actually 2 bills going through Lansing right now:
    * HB 5972 of 2010
    Weapons; licensing; requirement for purchase permit with every new pistol purchase; eliminate, and provide procedures for registration of pistols. Amends secs. 1, 2 & 2b of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5973'10
    Last Action: 3/18/2010 referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources
    * HB 5973 of 2010
    Weapons; licensing; requirement for purchase permit with every new pistol purchase; eliminate, and provide procedures for registration of pistols. Amends secs. 5l, 9a, 9b & 9c of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425l et seq.) & repeals sec. 2a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422a). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5972'10
    Last Action: 3/18/2010 referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources

Right now all you need to get a handgun in MI is the purchase permit. It's a pain, but much easier than it use to be. Use to have to take your gun in for a "safety" check (read underhand registration)

The sad part of this is the vote was 5-4. It should have been 9-0.
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Well, you can get one under Michigan law, but only after you get a license. MCL 28.422 requires that a person "shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol." These licenses are issued by the local police or, if the town doesn't have it's own police, then by the county sheriff. After you've waited the mandatory however long that takes, made sure that your permits are in order and ingratiated yourself to the local PD, you may have that gun in time for your Next of Kin to avenge you.

I don't need a permit for a shotgun, at least that's what several people have told me.

But there's no way I wouldn't qualify for a gun license under Michigan Law. I have no criminal record. My job may even qualify me for a CCW, providing I complete the required course that I can take at many different locations throughout the metro Detroit area.

At least I know where to post for gun advice, should I decide to get one:).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The day that the second amendment is no more we will no longer have states rights. You don't pick and choose which part of the constitution to abide by, you take it as a whole.
    Liberal hacks do not understand that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    I thought you guys were all about states' rights? What happened?
    Satanica?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't need a permit for a shotgun, at least that's what several people have told me.

But there's no way I wouldn't qualify for a gun license under Michigan Law. I have no criminal record. My job may even qualify me for a CCW, providing I complete the required course that I can take at many different locations throughout the metro Detroit area.

At least I know where to post for gun advice, should I decide to get one:).
    That you do. :D

And the first piece of advice that I can give you is that when you see one of your clients on your doorstep, it's too late. Also, the NRA has a superb pistol instruction course. I took the instructors' course and teach it to my troops in addition to the Army's Pre-Marksmanship Training, and I've never had a shooter fail to qualify after I've coached them (and considering some of the loggies that I've had to coach, that's actually rather impressive). Even if you don't buy a gun, you can take the course and shoot rentals at a range, so that you have the skill when you need it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I just went out and fired a 535 grain. semi spitzer in celebration!
    Had he worked for you long? :(

Bet you wouldn't have fired him if he had been a full-blooded Spitzer. :p
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Had he worked for you long? :(

Bet you wouldn't have fired him if he had been a full-blooded Spitzer. :p
    Naw, Elliot would've been impeached for the whole hooker thing anyway. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    there are actually 2 bills going through Lansing right now:
    * HB 5972 of 2010
    Weapons; licensing; requirement for purchase permit with every new pistol purchase; eliminate, and provide procedures for registration of pistols. Amends secs. 1, 2 & 2b of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5973'10
    * HB 5973 of 2010
    Weapons; licensing; requirement for purchase permit with every new pistol purchase; eliminate, and provide procedures for registration of pistols. Amends secs. 5l, 9a, 9b & 9c of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425l et seq.) & repeals sec. 2a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422a). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5972'10

Right now all you need to get a handgun in MI is the purchase permit. It's a pain, but much easier than it use to be. Use to have to take your gun in for a "safety" check (read underhand registration)
    I gave my Dad a Browning 9mm High Power a couple weeks ago, he lives in Hale, MI. He took it back up to get it registered, they won't register it and now I have to drive all the way up there to get it back before they confiscate it.

He has a carry permit that is completely useless, because I can't give my own father a gun without permission first. Yet another reason for me to stay in Tennessee.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson