Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What is the most important topic for this election season? 
    Wow, lots of anxiety in the world today. We have a major military campaign ongoing now for nine years in Afghanistan, we have a legal showdown between the state of Arizona and the federal government looming on the horizon, a leftwing Harvard dean nominated for the Supreme Court of the United States, legal challenges to Proposition 8 in the Ninth Circus Court of Appeals and we have a short, crazy man in the northern part of the Korean Peninsula who is threatening war yet non of these compare to the most important topic in this 2010 election......... The fiscal meltdown of the United States.

No, it is not immigration or abortion. Nor is it Afghanistan or the definition of marriage. It is whether or not we finally make the last few steps into turning ourselves into a European social democracy. Let us remember that the Bush "spending" took off only after the democrats took control of the house. Bush never vetoed any spending legislation because his first thought was to fight the muslunatics in both Iraq and Afhganistan. Was he right? Hindsight is always 20/20 but given that we had been just five years removed from 9/11, I will cut him a little slack.

Now come the 2008 election. The liberals in Washington, Hollywood and in the MSM have effectively demonized the Republican party. Though John McCain wasn't the perfect conservative, he has always had high conservative ratings on the military, social and fiscal side of things and it was conservatives who put him into the nomination, not some party boss back in DC. Folks forget he almost lost the race early because of his backing of McCain-Fiengold and his belief in man-made global warming. He retooled and he was actually what this country needed for fiscal reform.....however, it just wasn't our year.

Now we have probably the most ideological president since FDR and the most damaging since Jimmy Carter. Spending over President Barry's reign has more than doubled in the last 18 months over what it took President Bush to do in 8 years. We have passed a massive heath-care takeover that is raising taxes, we have passed a so-called "stimulus" package that hasn't created or saved one friggen job not associated with more government spending and when the Bush tax cuts expire next year, they should and will become the Obama tax increases on EVERYONE! The highest income rates will jump from 36% to almost 40%. The capital gains tax rates will jump from around 15% to almost 40%.

Folks, our form of government cannot take this sort of abuse. Yes, we need to continue the fight to enforce our borders and continue to lower the rate of abortions but none of that is possible if the government and it's people go bankrupt.

Fiscal conservatism is pro-life....fiscal conservatism is pro legal immigration....fiscal conservatism is pro democratic-republicanism.

Fiscal conservatism is what we need right now.

Living within our means as a national would provide a framework to dismantle some of the excesses we've experienced over the past 40 years.

Banned
    We need to keep our eye on the ball and that is the upcoming election in 4 months. Republicans and Tea Party candidates can massacre Democrats if they will use the same playbook used in the Gov. races in VA, NJ and the Senate race in MA. It is the economy stupid, less government, lower taxes that will win the day. It is really that simple.

After the elections in Nov., we can start talking about how to change the mess Obummer has made but first things first, and that is to win the House and Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    We need to keep our eye on the ball and that is the upcoming election in 4 months. Republicans and Tea Party candidates can massacre Democrats if they will use the same playbook used in the Gov. races in VA, NJ and the Senate race in MA. It is the economy stupid, less government, lower taxes that will win the day. It is really that simple.

After the elections in Nov., we can start talking about how to change the mess Obummer has made but first things first, and that is to win the House and Senate.

QFT
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Living within our means as a national would provide a framework to dismantle some of the excesses we've experienced over the past 40 years.
    Here here. :D

My main beef is with how long it's going to take to scale back the entitlement welfare state. It was built over the last 120 years, it'll take decades to kick the habit. It's not like we can flip a switch and end SS, medicare or medicaid tomorrow. And as sorry as I am to say it, it's doubtful the GOP will do the ground work beyond a few election cycles. How many times have they started strong in the past (1994) and then became just as corrupt as the damn democrats? It worries me.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

With an average of a new employer every couple of years in the tech sector, how are people of my generation going to have enough money to retire? Gone, or going, are the days of company pension plans. Also gone are the days of "striking it rich with a start-up" (such a day never existed) - which in the 90s was the compensation for forgoing sticking it out with the same industry giant for 10-15 years.

Sure, say "save." But with taxes always going up and government inventing new ways to tax, investments becoming far less stable, and inflation kicking in, it''s becoming less and less feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    With an average of a new employer every couple of years in the tech sector, how are people of my generation going to have enough money to retire? Gone, or going, are the days of company pension plans. Also gone are the days of "striking it rich with a start-up" (such a day never existed) - which in the 90s was the compensation for forgoing sticking it out with the same industry giant for 10-15 years.

Sure, say "save." But with taxes always going up and government inventing new ways to tax, investments becoming far less stable, and inflation kicking in, it''s becoming less and less feasible.
    You know how politicians have been saying for decades that we were/are robbing our children's and grandchildren's futures? Guess what? We are those children and grandchildren. Welcome to the work until you die generation.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    My main issue is the restoration of our Constitutions original intent - and electing those who would uphold this concept.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    My main issue is the restoration of our Constitutions original intent - and electing those who would uphold this concept.
    Politically it is stupid to even try and reteach constitutional theory for elections. That is what groups like the Heritage Foundation and the Cato institute are for.

No, for this and every election after this we need to focus on conservative solutions for the pressing problems of the time and the biggest problem we have right now is over spending and the deficit.

My main issue this year is based around the high cost of engagement/wedding sets. Congress should to something to allow me to purchase a $15,000 to $20,000 set for less that $5,000. Whoever can arrange that will get my vote.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis