Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Drug Laws Unfair To Minorities 
    Oooh boy:

Calif NAACP to back pot legalization initiative

By MARCUS WOHLSEN (AP) – 6 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO — The NAACP's California chapter pledged its support on Tuesday for a marijuana legalization ballot measure, saying current laws are unfairly used to target minorities.

The group highlighted findings it says show the arrest rate among blacks for low-level marijuana crimes far exceed those of whites in the state's largest counties.

"Justice is the quality of being just and fair and these laws have been neither just nor fair," said Alice Huffman, president of the California State Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

The November ballot measure would let adults possess up to an ounce of marijuana for personal use. Residents could legally grow small marijuana gardens, and individual cities and counties would decide whether to allow marijuana sales.
    Link to rest of the story

Now, I'm not against legalizing weed but to say the laws are unfair to minorities is race baiting bullshit. Here's an idea. Since it's against the law, don't do it. Or is there some biological reason why blacks need to smoke weed?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Not blacks but Hispanic citizens could actually make this point.

All the pot laws originally were designed to make Pedro and his various relations pull up stakes and go back to Mexico when he overstayed his guest worker visa.

In terms of sheer numbers, whites are obviously more impacted by pot laws than anybody.

Banned
    Race baiting is what these clowns in the NAACP, Jessie and grease ball Al do to not only stir up the black community but to gain donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Not blacks but Hispanic citizens could actually make this point.

All the pot laws originally were designed to make Pedro and his various relations pull up stakes and go back to Mexico when he overstayed his guest worker visa.

In terms of sheer numbers, whites are obviously more impacted by pot laws than anybody.
    I think there might be something to this. Pot is pretty common in some areas, like the pacific northwest. Instead of getting home from the factory and drinking a beer, you get off work from the donut bakery come home and smoke a J. I don't have any problem with this, but that's another debate.

My point is that one trick government has in its arsenal is taking something that's illegal but somewhat common, giving it stiff penalties, and then enforcing it selectively. It's not even necessarily race, it's just a matter of a cop saying "I don't like that person" (for whatever reason), "I'm going to request to search him, and when he refuses, use that as probable cause to search him. With the thousands and thousands of laws on the books, maybe I'll find something he's doing illegal."

Pot Laws and Hispanics
    Opium Laws and Asains

The HARSHLY different punishments for equal amounts given to Cocaine users (mostly white) vs Crack Cocaine users (mostly black/poor)

There are several studies out showing whites get punished less often and with lighter punishments for marijuana offenses.

Pharmacutecal Abuse is rampant amongst middle and upper-middle class whites, is illegal, is far more dangerous than things like weed, yet is hardly enforced by police.

I have first hand experience with pharmaceutical abuse within some of my extended family. The police will enforce the laws, and the criminals, yes even the whites will go to jail for it. (My brother-in-law and a few others know this quite well). However, the reason why I don't think it's enforced to the extent of other drugs is because it's very hard to detect. Someone basically has to rat you out in order for the police to ever know about it.

An officer stops a guy for a traffic violation. He does something stupid and allows the police to search the car. The only thing the officer finds is a prescription drug bottle with the drivers name and information on it. The officer has no way of knowing if the prescription is legitimate or illegal, and furthermore the officer has no way of validating the prescription or even identifying what is in the bottle. The officer isn't even supposed to ask what they are, what they are for, etc. On top of that if the patient has a valid prescription, prosecution becomes almost impossible, even if the patient faked the pain to get it from the E.R. doc, or is seeing two doctors and paying cash for one or whatever.

I'm no friend of the NAACP, nor any organization that advances one type of person, but on the surface statistics are on their side here. There are more blacks and hispanics serving time for drug related offenses than whites. However, what we don't know is if there are more whites than blacks and hispanics using drugs, or whether the ratio of users by skin color to incarcerated users by skin color is proportional.
    Last edited by malloc; 06-30-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Pot Laws and Hispanics
    Opium Laws and Asains

The HARSHLY different punishments for equal amounts given to Cocaine users (mostly white) vs Crack Cocaine users (mostly black/poor)
    Don't break laws and you won't be punished dumb ass!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Pot Laws and Hispanics
    Opium Laws and Asains

If you are dealing, you need to go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    An officer stops a guy for a traffic violation. He does something stupid and allows the police to search the car.
    You mean like refusing a voluntary search?

(Before someone whips out internet arguing points, yes this happened to me. I was told by an officer at a routine traffic stop that my refusal of a voluntary search was probable cause for a search.)