Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    You mean like refusing a voluntary search?

    (Before someone whips out internet arguing points, yes this happened to me. I was told by an officer at a routine traffic stop that my refusal of a voluntary search was probable cause for a search.)
    He lied then.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    He lied then.
    Well, it was over 10 years ago. I remember reading several years later that the Courts actually ruled that this shouldn't happen (so obviously it was). But when a guy with a gun and a badge asks to search your car, you say no... and then he TELLS you he's searching your car because you said no... what are you going to do? Physically try and stop him? Argue, after being told to shut up and stand on the curb? I figured my options were to let him search my vehicle or "resist" and then all bets are off. That never goes down well.

    During the search (which took a very long time), I was chatting with his much nicer partner who revealed to me that my bumper stickers were the reason. For both being pulled over and searched. I like the Dead, what can I say. :p
    Last edited by m00; 07-01-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Well, it was over 10 years ago. I remember reading several years later that the Courts actually ruled that this shouldn't happen (so obviously it was). But when a guy with a gun and a badge asks to search your car, you say no... and then he TELLS you he's searching your car because you said no... what are you going to do? Physically try and stop him? Argue, after being told to shut up and stand on the curb? I figured my options were to let him search my vehicle or "resist" and then all bets are off. That never goes down well.

    During the search (which took a very long time), I was chatting with his much nicer partner who revealed to me that my bumper stickers were the reason. For both being pulled over and searched. I like the Dead, what can I say. :p
    A Dead sticker will do it.

    Yeah you don't argue or anything....just state you don't consent and then let em' proceed.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Well, it was over 10 years ago. I remember reading several years later that the Courts actually ruled that this shouldn't happen (so obviously it was). But when a guy with a gun and a badge asks to search your car, you say no... and then he TELLS you he's searching your car because you said no... what are you going to do? Physically try and stop him? Argue, after being told to shut up and stand on the curb? I figured my options were to let him search my vehicle or "resist" and then all bets are off. That never goes down well.

    During the search (which took a very long time), I was chatting with his much nicer partner who revealed to me that my bumper stickers were the reason. For both being pulled over and searched. I like the Dead, what can I say. :p
    You were pulled over for Driving While Liking the Grateful Dead? That's a new one.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    A Dead sticker will do it.

    Yeah you don't argue or anything....just state you don't consent and then let em' proceed.
    Then you get their name and badge number and report them to the chief of police. If that doesn't get you anywhere, then you report them to the commissioner/public safety director/or whatever political head of the police department you have.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Then you get their name and badge number and report them to the chief of police. If that doesn't get you anywhere, then you report them to the commissioner/public safety director/or whatever political head of the police department you have.
    Isn't that just setting yourself up for more targeted harassment? I should mention, at the time, the county I lived in was ranked in the top 5 in the nation for police brutality.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,308
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Isn't that just setting yourself up for more targeted harassment? I should mention, at the time, the county I lived in was ranked in the top 5 in the nation for police brutality.
    No more than it would be setting them up for lawsuits. Believe me. It isn't worth it to them.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    No more than it would be setting them up for lawsuits. Believe me. It isn't worth it to them.
    Asking for a badge number and reporting it is probably good advice. At the time, I was very young and it honestly didn't occur to me. But quite frankly, asking for a badge number of a cop that's doing something he shouldn't seems like a good way to get in some serious trouble. I've had run-ins with enough belligerent cops to see how things go down (this was a function of where I grew up, so I'm not saying this is representative of LEOs as a whole). But it seemed like claiming that you were "resisting" was a license to use any amount of force the officer wanted. Whether or not you were breaking any laws never seemed to come into play. Normally you just wanted to keep your head down and fly under the radar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •