Hybrid View

1. #1 Howe’s effort topples Kline 
    Banned
    Is it still Kansas, Toto? :D

Howe’s effort topples Kline
    By DIANE CARROLL
    The Kansas City Star
    A political newcomer knocked Phill Kline out of the race for Johnson County district attorney Tuesday, defeating the hopes of abortion opponents who had campaigned nationwide.

With all of the vote counted, Steve Howe, a former Johnson County prosecutor, trounced Kline with 33,260 votes to Kline’s 22,188, a margin of 60 percent to 40 percent, according to final unofficial returns.

Howe will face Democrat Rick Guinn in the Nov. 4 general election.
    Howe said he ran a campaign based on facts and one that made distinctions between the candidates based on their records. His big win showed that the people of Johnson County don’t like “dirty politics,” he told his supporters. “And they want a positive campaign.”
    Abortion played a key role in the race because Kline is the first prosecutor since Roe v. Wade to file criminal charges against a Planned Parenthood clinic. The case is pending.

Independent groups from outside Kansas are thought to have spent more than $100,000 to keep Kline’s candidacy alive.

More...
    For those who don't recognize Kline...

In 2002, he was elected state attorney general in a squeaker election and promptly started suing abortion clinics, demanding the medical records of patients. In 2006, the Republican district attorney of Johnson County switched parties to run against Kline, and crushed him. (Kline appealed to local churches to give him info on their members to help him get out the vote.) After the election, the Johnson GOP appointed Kline as the new Johnson County DA. Kline promptly started suing abortion clinics again, bringing 107 charges against Planned Parenthood, travelling the country.

Fare-thee-well, Phil

Johnson county is one of the 3 constantly-liberal counties in Kansas. That they are largely pro-abortion comes as no surprise.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Patent Member
    I probably could find things to disagree with Kline on, but the evidence is there that PP had been consistently ignoring state law and refused to disclose criminal acts against minors. I expect the new DA will refuse to prosecute the case against PP in order to get a few more votes next time around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    I probably could find things to disagree with Kline on, but the evidence is there that PP had been consistently ignoring state law and refused to disclose criminal acts against minors. I expect the new DA will refuse to prosecute the case against PP in order to get a few more votes next time around.
    Since this guy won by 60-40 against the anti-abortion crusader rabbit, I'm not sure how many more votes one needs.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Since this guy won by 60-40 against the anti-abortion crusader rabbit, I'm not sure how many more votes one needs.
    It was a primary, and the general election looks to be contentious.