1. #1 Writer Christopher Hitchens has cancer of the oesophagus 
    Writer Christopher Hitchens has cancer of the oesophagus

AUTHOR, journalist and public intellectual Christopher Hitchens has announced he has cancer of the oesophagus and will undergo treatment.
    Hitchens revealed his condition in a three-sentence statement on the website of Vanity Fair, a magazine to which he regularly contributes, and said he would have to cut short his current book tour.

“I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my oesophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such short notice,” Hitchens said.

The English-born Hitchens, 61, was in the middle of a book tour to promote his newly released memoir Hitch 22.

He visited Australia in May this year, being a star attraction at the Sydney Writers Festival.

Hitchens, a noted enfant terrible in the literary world, is a well-known public figure who appears regularly on TV and has had his work published in myriad magazines including The New Statesman, The Atlantic, Vanity Fair, Slate & The Nation. He also published several books including his recent atheist tome “God is Not Great.”

He is well-known for his prolific consumption of alcohol and cigarettes. It was reported that the chain-smoking Hitchens gave up smoking cigarettes in 2008, though a profile piece in the Washington Post earlier this month showed that he was still indulging in the habit.

In 2003 he famously quipped that his daily intake of alcohol was enough “to kill or stun the average mule”.

Hitchens, once a darling of the left, famously underwent an ideological shift in recent years, especially after 9/11, that saw him support the Iraq war and lose the support of many of his former admirers.

Hitchens became an American citizen in 2007. He currently lives in Washington DC with his wife Carol.

How awful. Prayers for his speedy recovery.

Regardless of his behavior toward people of faith and Christians in particular, this has to be a blow to him and his family. I wish him all the well.

The Australian

I'm not surprised. The chap has had a nagging cough for over four years. He often displayed it during interviews. A brilliant fellow; I hope he does well.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I'm not surprised. The chap has had a nagging cough for over four years. He often displayed it during interviews. A brilliant fellow; I hope he does well.
    I don't really know anything about this kind of cancer. Is it pretty treatable or what?

I will pray for him. He is a worthy adversary of those of faith and has done a great job of making believers take a harder look at their beliefs.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I will pray for him. He is a worthy adversary of those of faith and has done a great job of making believers take a harder look at their beliefs.

I just wish he'd lighten up a little on Mother Theresa.

Otherwise, I agree with what you say. Plus, I like the irony of praying for his recovery, hoping for the best for him while knowing that he would hate that people were praying for him.

Hitchens is probably the closest thing we have today to George Orwell, and even when I disagree with him, I respect him. I hope that he recovers fully.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't really know anything about this kind of cancer. Is it pretty treatable or what?
    Depends on the stage of its advancement. Caught early, I think it is pretty treatable.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Hitchens is probably the closest thing we have today to George Orwell, and even when I disagree with him, I respect him. I hope that he recovers fully.
    Same here. His work against PC madness is fundamental. . . him and Pat Candell. . . man, they can sting, but - - I respect them and actually do pray for them.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

I hope he fully recovers. Religious beliefs aside, he's an interesting character. He's my favorite Athiest besides Penn & Teller.

I really hope he gets better.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

It is a bad diagnosis and one of the more difficult cancers to treat, even when caught early.
    I place and manage epidurals for many patients of a thoracic surgeon who specializes in a procedure called "transhiatal esophagectomy," so I see a lot of these cases. The surgeon is considered to be one of the best in this area, so we see patients from all over America, and occasionally other countries.

Their prognosis is generally not good. I don't recall the exact figure, but I think the 5 year survival rate is around 10%.