Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    If I should marry my girlfriend, I intend to gain Romanian (and thereby EU) citizenship.

Consider the career implications before you do. Some companies (like mine), if they require US citizenship, will not accept dual citizenship.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Consider the career implications before you do. Some companies (like mine), if they require US citizenship, will not accept dual citizenship.
    This is not an issue with any of the large consulting firms. The company I work for now is Indian. We do very little government work, specializing in commerical clients who, even financial organizations, don't consider this a problem.

If I should marry my girlfriend, I intend to gain Romanian (and thereby EU) citizenship.
    Does that mean that you'll only work 35 hrs a week and have six weeks paid vacation every year?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Does that mean that you'll only work 35 hrs a week and have six weeks paid vacation every year?
    Probably not. However, the American/Dutch consulting firm I used to work for gave me 6 weeks paid vacation a year. The Indian consultant company I work for now only gives me four. :mad:

FYI from the US State Department's website:

For the most part, your quoted info validated my post. The declaration at age 18 applies to US citizenship of minors born to US citizens outside of the US. While it may not effect the citizenship status in the other country, it is required for a declaration of US citizenship. The best (fastest aqnd cheapest) way for that to occur is for the parents to go to the US Embassy/Consulate in that country and obtain a US birth certificate for their child.

I am compelled to offer up a fact per my own experience. While the USBCIS posts their applicable laws and policies, they will ignore them at will. We had to get Senator Lugar's office involved just to make them follow their own laws and policies wrt my wife's immigration status. Hey made a mistake on her green card that had to be corrected before we could apply for her US Citizenship. It took two years to clear that up and we had to pay the USBCIS to correct their mistake. However, they were still feeling the sting of Senator Lugar's office and her citizenship application went through quickly and with no artibitray hurdles that many commonly experience.

Why would you want EU citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Nope. Irish. He's really Barry O'Bama, an Irish guy who had a deep tan and discovered that hot college girls went for the oppressed brother rap, but by the time he hit grad school, he couldn't give it up without losing the affirmative action grants and placement, so he's kept up the lie for decades. That's why his grandmother was a "typical white person." :D

My wife is a Brit, so our daughters have dual citizenship, although I'm told that they have to apply for it from Britain. Regardless, if Obama does have dual-citizenship, it's a campaign issue, at the very least, but it could involve some serious constitutional interpretation to keep him on the ballot if this blows up. Even if it doesn't disqualify him, it would cost him some votes.
    However, by age 18, they will have to declare their US Citizenship or they will not be considered to be a US citizen. At least, that's how it works for the children of US Military personnel in Germany.

I Agree about it still being an election issue.