Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Built a new puter question. 
    All right puter geeks I have a question. I just got done building a puter......(250 gig HD.........3 gig mem). I plugged it in and ass soon as it started to power up,it started to make high/low beeps. I looked on line and from what i can find it says that the memory is not installed. The mem is installed. Any suggestions oh mighty puter geeks?

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    All right puter geeks I have a question. I just got done building a puter......(250 gig HD.........3 gig mem). I plugged it in and ass soon as it started to power up,it started to make high/low beeps. I looked on line and from what i can find it says that the memory is not installed. The mem is installed. Any suggestions oh mighty puter geeks?
    Is it possible that the memory is defective? And obviously you have checked to be sure it is seated securely, and compatible with your machine.

That is all I have to offer. I've thought about building my own puter, but am skeered to try.

This will look silly in print but is it like a steady chirping noise or is it like alternating tones like a French police car, dee-doo, dee-doo? Also, does it come on within just a few seconds of turning it on or does it wait a bit before sounding?

If it is right away it most likely is memory related. Could be bad memory. It is possible it is bad right out of the package. Also, as stated above, make sure it is seated and flush in the sockets in the motherboard. It should snap into place and the little arms on the end should be "grasping" it in the notches on the memory.

Banned
    As others have said, it is most likely the memory. Getting bad memory right out of the box isnt all that uncommon, RAM generally has a high rate of defectiveness.

Or could be you got the wrong kind/size etc for your motherboard. Double check that.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderguy8 View Post
    This will look silly in print but is it like a steady chirping noise or is it like alternating tones like a French police car, dee-doo, dee-doo? Also, does it come on within just a few seconds of turning it on or does it wait a bit before sounding?

If it is right away it most likely is memory related. Could be bad memory. It is possible it is bad right out of the package. Also, as stated above, make sure it is seated and flush in the sockets in the motherboard. It should snap into place and the little arms on the end should be "grasping" it in the notches on the memory.
    It sounds like a french cop car. As soon as I plug it in,the CPU fan kicks on. It runs for a second and starts to beep.

I would return that memory for a full refund or exchange.

If you have 3 gigs then you most likely have more than 1 stick. If the memory is bad, try 1 stick of memory installed at a time to see if you can pinpoint which one it is.

Also try other memory banks if possible. That will also eliminate the possibility that your motherboard is bad too.

Vepr
    Also make sure you have it all seated well. If just one stick is not seated fully you will have problems. Also if you are running XP remember that XP will only ever make use of 2 gigs (It should still post though) Vista will make use of all 3 gig (if it is needed). Also make sure you have all the power hooked up to the board. Remember there are two connections if it is a socket 775.

Patent Member
    Hm.. I wasn't aware of the "beeping=bad memory" thing. Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately it means that my motherboard is probably fried.

What motherboard, memory and video card are you using?