Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Don't come knocking on my door 
    Don't come knocking on my door

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: May 22, 2010
    1:00 am Eastern

© 2010

On Thursday I made a severe error in judgment. I logged onto the Drudge Report, where these headlines jumped out at me:

Stocks drop most in a year on economic reports, European debt crisis

Roubini: Stocks to tumble another 20%, cash the safest place

Strains accumulate

Fed official: Europe's crisis poses risks to USA

Confusion over regulation moves trigger sell-offs

These headlines got me worried because they coincide with a couple of entries I recently posted on my blog: "Predictions for the rest of 2010," and "More cheery news." I'll pause while you go read those items.

Now that you're back, can you understand why I find myself nervous about the future?

Don't be caught unprepared! Order Gen. Russel Honoré's book "Survival: How a Culture of Preparedness Can Save You and Your Family from Disasters"

When I'm nervous, I tend to can food. In the last two days I've canned 33 pints of mixed vegetables and 14 quarts of chicken breasts.

Because, you see, I expect the bleep to hit the fan within a year, possibly less. Mother hen that I am, I want to gather my chicks close and protect them. The frustrating thing is, those of us with concerns about the economy can't help but wonder how much of it is orchestrated. Whatever the cause, things appear to be spiraling out of control. So I'm doing the only thing I can do, and that's to prepare for hard times.

Of course, most people aren't preparing. History is full of people who ignored warning signs and put their heads in the sand (and their rumps in the air). These are the folks who derive great amusement at us who prepare, smugly calling us conspiracy nuts or lunatics. Then they'll calmly inform us of their contingency plans: "Well, we'll just come live with you if things get tough."

These are the Grasshoppers of society, and I've written about them before. These are the people who still have their jobs and homes, but seem incapable or unwilling to look beyond the shallow concerns of everyday life to read the headlines or see the storm clouds gathering on the horizon.

This attitude makes Ants very, very nervous.

One woman posted on my blog: "I live on 1 acre in town, and we have 48 relatives within walking distance of our house. If only four people show up to be fed and cared for, my six-month supply is cut in half to three months. The more people who show up for help … well, just do the division! I'm trying to build my stock and some nights I don't sleep well just thinking about how quickly it could be depleted. This is not fear talking; this is wrapping my brain around reality."

This woman has tried warning her friends and family, but when she saw them "taking cruises and trips to Florida," she knew the message wasn't getting through.

Grasshoppers, every one of them. Grasshoppers are not people who are unemployed or facing eviction or dealing with medical bills. Grasshoppers are people who have jobs and are perfectly capable of preparing, but who deny that hard times could ever happen.

Whenever I address this subject in a column, there's always someone who "jokingly" announces that he'll just come live with us if the bleep hits the fan. My standard reply is, "Stand in line. There are dozens ahead of you." The honest truth of the matter is, "Why is it MY responsibility to feed YOU when you've had plenty of warning that times are going to be tough, and you've just been too stupid or stubborn to listen?"

And the trouble is, the woman with 48 relatives shares a major concern with other Ants: We love our Grasshoppers to pieces. They are our friends and family. So the question arises – how do we decide who comes to live with us and share our supplies? How many Grasshoppers can one Ant support?
    Interesting thought. For those of us who are involved with preparedness, who would you turn away?

WND

I don't like how he refers to people who simply enjoy life as "enemies".

If we were to all suddenly stop spending frivolous money like he's suggestion, what he is preparing for would happen all the quicker. I for one am going to keep being one of those people who take the cruises and such. Because while the ant is busy stashing everything away, the grasshopper is doing what he can to make sure winter never comes.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I don't like how he refers to people who simply enjoy life as "enemies".

If we were to all suddenly stop spending frivolous money like he's suggestion, what he is preparing for would happen all the quicker. I for one am going to keep being one of those people who take the cruises and such. Because while the ant is busy stashing everything away, the grasshopper is doing what he can to make sure winter never comes.
    He's a she. I think her annoyance is with people who could probably afford to do both if they ever thought about it, which they don't.

It's usually not a choice between an upscale vacation and doing basic preparedness measures. A lot of people do nothing at all. They literally don't have enough dog food to make it to the weekend. It's not economics, it's short-sightedness.

Her big worry shouldn't be the people asking for food, but the ones who show up at the door demanding it. Those are the folks who are going to give her trouble; they either take the food, or try to steal it.

She better get herself a couple of firearms and learn how to use them.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    Her big worry shouldn't be the people asking for food, but the ones who show up at the door demanding it. Those are the folks who are going to give her trouble; they either take the food, or try to steal it.

She better get herself a couple of firearms and learn how to use them.
    And PLENTY of ammo. The lines will be fairly long abd the worst of them will be well armed.
    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting thought. For those of us who are involved with preparedness, who would you turn away?
    Anyone that doesn't look like good eating.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

When was the last time someone's had to say "We'll get through this, I have 33 pints of mixed vegetables in the cupboard".

I think I'll keep taking my cruises.

The Wal-Mart by my house has a pretty interesting isle dedicated to emergency preparedness. It's the only one I've ever seen like it. It has like 5 gallon tubs of flour, cornmeal, rice, and beans. All of which should last for nearly every if stored properly and sealed from moisture and bugs. It also has giant cans of canned meats and vegetables, all at the wonderful wal-mart prices.

I've been thinking about buying more of this stuff up, it seems like a rational thing to spend money on.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    The Wal-Mart by my house has a pretty interesting isle dedicated to emergency preparedness. It's the only one I've ever seen like it. It has like 5 gallon tubs of flour, cornmeal, rice, and beans. All of which should last for nearly every if stored properly and sealed from moisture and bugs. It also has giant cans of canned meats and vegetables, all at the wonderful wal-mart prices.

I've been thinking about buying more of this stuff up, it seems like a rational thing to spend money on.
    Same here. My ex boyfriend has the same worries. I'm trying to teach myself some sort of useful skill so he'll be willing to take me in.

Hey, If I'm not gonna be prepared, I'd better get a skill that makes me valuable to the ones that are.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Hey, If I'm not gonna be prepared, I'd better get a skill that makes me valuable to the ones that are.
    ~QC

Bah, I don't think even the zombie apocalypse could diminish the demand for exotic dancers! :D That's a trade with universal appeal.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense