Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Isaac Hayes dead at 65 
    MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Soul music legend Isaac Hayes died early Sunday afternoon, according to Shelby County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Steve Shular. Hayes was 65.

A Shelby County sheriff's deputy responded to Hayes' home after his wife found him on the floor near a treadmill inside his home.

Hayes was taken to Baptist East Hospital in Memphis, where he was pronounced dead at 2:08pm.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8817903

RIP Chef.

Bernie Mac and now Hayes. If you believe things come in threes, heads up Bill Cosby. :eek:

Sonnabend
    Oh man :(:(

One of music's legends....

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    RIP Chef.

Bernie Mac and now Hayes. If you believe things come in threes, heads up Bill Cosby. :eek:
    I think it's Paul Newman. I read somewhere that he only has a couple of weeks to live. Thus completes the death trifecta.

This is kind of morbid. Thinking about who the "third" is.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    RIP Chef.
    Ditto. :( :(

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Ditto. :( :(
    Ditto here also. This has been a depressing week. Went to my favorite cousin's funeral yesterday. :(
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

RIP Isaac :(

You know me, I was looking for a way to blame Scientology:
    Isaac was found dead by his treadmill, but conveniently missing from the wire stories was a significant fact: in January 2006, Isaac had a significant stroke. At the time, the word went out only that he had been hospitalized for exhaustion.

But the truth was, Isaac, whom I’d seen just a couple of months earlier when he headlined the Blues Ball in Memphis, was in trouble. Having lost the rights to his songs two decades earlier, he was finally making some money voicing the character of Chef on “South Park.” But “South Park” lampooned Scientology, so the leaders wanted Isaac out.

Push came to shove on Nov. 16, 2005, when “South Park” aired its hilarious “Trapped in the Closet” episode spoofing Tom Cruise and John Travolta. “South Park” creator Matt Stone told me later that Isaac had come to him in tears.

“He said he was under great pressure from Scientology, and if we didn’t stop poking at them, he’d have to leave," Stone said.

The conversation ended there. Isaac performed Chef’s signature song at the Blues Ball a week later with great de light. Although he was devoted to Scientology, he also loved being part of “South Park.” He was proud of it. And, importantly, it gave him income he badly needed.

But then came the stroke, which was severe. His staff — consisting of Scientology monitors who rarely left him alone — tried to portray it as a minor health issue. It wasn’t. Sources in Memphis told me at the time that Isaac had significant motor control and speech issues. His talking was impaired.

In March 2006, news came that Hayes was resigning from “South Park." On March 20, 2006, I wrote a column called “Chef’s Quitting Controversy,” explaining that Hayes was in no position to have quit anything due to his stroke. But Scientology issued the statement to the press saying Hayes had resigned, and the press just ate it up. No one spoke to Isaac directly, because he couldn’t literally speak. "Chef” was written out of the show.
    More at link - it doesn't get any better.:mad:

The big Cheese
    I thought Scientology gave you the ability to live forever.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

noonwitch
    I liked him, I liked Chef, and this is sad.

I hate Scientology-not scientologists, but the religion. It is false and manipulative, and they tartet vulnerable people. The article asks a good question-what was a stroke victim who needed assistance doing alone on a treadmill?