Thread: Iron Man

1. #1 Iron Man 
    Figured I'd post one about this since CU was down when it first came out...the Brat and I just saw it and it was a fun movie. A little dicey with the whole "selling weapons to terrorists" thing and Stark finally gets a conscience after his experience with the terrorists...I guess Hollywood couldn't pass up that cheap shot to make the industrial military complex look eeeviiiilllll but overall it was a good, fun, visually stunning superhero movie. I thought Robert Downey Jr. did a great job as Tony Stark, and the humor in it was perfect. And the "hidden" ending after the credits finished rolling was neat. Look forward to IM #2...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I saw Iron Man in a double feature with the new Indie Jones movie. I was looking forward more to seeing Indiana Jones but wound up enhjoying Iron Man the best.

I really enjoyed it.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

We really liked it.

The corporate bad guy angle was clichťd but the humor and basic message was great! This is a very fun ride with enough action for the guys and enough "sparky" interaction for the gals. It's a good kid flick in terms of sex and language although the explosions may be over the top for the 8 and under crowd.

The theme of redemption is well written as is the good versus evil thing. Although paleo-conservatives will find the corporate evil meme to be trite, the actual action of the movie is all about using power for change - good change. The oppressed village payback scene is priceless.

Downey does a completely outstanding job in this movie and it's no fluke - he has apparently turned away from the Darkside of lefty agitprop in real life.

See it, you'll love it.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I always skip the super hero movies. I'm glad I have DS to take Tristan to them.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I seen it last week with my son. I really like Robert Downey Jr. as an actor and hope he finally has his life back together.

Even with the barb towards the Industrial Military Complex (of which I have some issues of my own) they did show the terrorist as bad guys. What I didn't see was this movie trying to give us a heart for understanding the terrorist. They were plain evil. The action and humor were well received and the movie didn't try to take itself to seriously.

See it again on almost on demand WWW.watch-movies.net

You need Firefox to run a lot of them. If you download FF download the Ad-Block Pllus option with it.
    Last edited by Aklover; 06-05-2008 at 12:02 AM.

I've seen it twice, and I loved it both times. Regarding the anti- militaristic message of the movie, I'd point out that it seemed to me like the main issue the film was addressing wasn't so much that the Military Industrial Complex itself was evil, more that in order for it to be successful, they'd need to root out and dispose of corruption within it, to ensure that what they make doesn't fall into the wrong hands. I'd have to agree with du freeper's comment, that it was very good and refreshing that the movie didn't portray the terrorists as sympathetic or misunderstood or any of the other touchy- feely PC labels that liberal Hollywood loves to stick on them. It portrayed them as genuinely evil men who bring misery and death on their own people, which is of course what they are in real life. I loved the part around the middle of the movie where, after Iron Man finishes smacking the crap out of that terrorist cell, he grabs the cell's leader guy who had been hiding somewhere, and tosses him into the midst of the peasants that the terrorists had been tormenting, saying "He's all yours." The only way that part could have been better would be if, as Iron Man was flying away, you heard in the background the leader guy screaming as the peasants make him pay for what he and his men did to them. Jeff Bridges also made a good villain, especially in the climax when he puts on the Iron Monger suit (His voice when he was in the suit was appropriately creepy). Of course, Robert Downey Jr. was phenomenal. Many of the jokes and one- liners he gives in the movie simply would not have been as funny if another actor had given them, just because Downey's delivery of them was so perfect.
    I can't wait to see 'Iron Man 2.' In the meantime, though, I've heard that both he (Tony Stark, aka Iron Man) and Wolverine will be making cameo appearances in the 'Hulk' movie next week. Maybe after I watch that, I could put up a review of it here.