Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 McCain adviser ducks single-term pledge 
    WASHINGTON, Aug. 10 (UPI) -- Republican presidential hopeful John McCain's campaign manager would not say whether the Arizona senator planned to commit to serve only one term as president.

Campaign manager Rick Davis was asked on "Fox News Sunday" whether McCain, who turns 72 this month, would pledge at the Republican National Convention to serve a single term.

"You're going to have to come to the Republican convention to find out what's going to happen there," Davis said. "And I think everybody should tune in, because it's going to be an excellent event and very interesting to all viewers."

McCain's Democratic rival, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, is 47.

Davis was also asked if there is "any chance" that McCain will pledge that there will be no politics in the White House.

"Well, first of all, if you know John McCain, you know there's not going to be much politics in the White House anyway," Davis said. "I mean, he doesn't grade any of his decisions either as a senator or in the future as president on what the political dynamic is." WASHINGTON, Aug. 10 (UPI) -- Republican presidential hopeful John McCain's campaign manager would not say whether the Arizona senator planned to commit to serve only one term as president.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/08/...0631218410388/
    Last edited by LogansPapa; 08-12-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: dup/do'h
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I think you duplicated yourself, LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Do’h! If I was Sonnabend I’d say I meant to do that, but thank God I’m not. ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    There's no principled reason why McCain should do this. However, that said, coupled with a young, energetic VP, it might be a good strategy. With a Jindal or Romney on the ticket, for example, it might play very well. It could sell as the able, experienced McCain can guide us through the existing troubled international waters, to be succeeded by a young, vibrant VP who has gained international experience OTJ.

An interesting question might be how it would play if that young, vibrant VP candidate were a woman! :eek: :D

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    There's no principled reason why McCain should do this. However, that said, coupled with a young, energetic VP, it might be a good strategy.
    It would be a fantastic strategy if the current president wasn’t leaving a gigantic bucket of shit, accumulated since March of 2003. It will take McCain at least 48 months to clear this excrement from the Republican legacy.

For me - and strictly from an Independent’s perspective, this tactic screams weakness.

It says: "I know I’m just a heart-beat from death - but we’re going to continue on with the fine policies of the last two terms."

McCain can’t (unless he picks Mitt) claim that he’s got a vibrant VP waiting in the wings, and if he is dumb enough to chose "Mr. Duct-Tape" and his running mate - his campaign will go down like Monica in a White House closet.

Banned
    The only "Duck" I get out of this article is the "quacking" (quack, quack, quack) of the author of this article.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    OMG what a fearsome thought ,a pair of bi-sexual beavers!

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    OMG what a fearsome thought ,a pair of bi-sexual beavers!
    :D (okay - funny shit)

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    It would be a fantastic strategy if the current president wasn’t leaving a gigantic bucket of shit, accumulated since March of 2003. It will take McCain at least 48 months to clear this excrement from the Republican legacy.
    So vote Obama, right? I mean, Hope and Change are nice words, so might as well pull the lever for the guy. We all know McCain is going to be exactly the same as George Bush despite opposing views on a number of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    We all know McCain is going to be exactly the same as George Bush despite opposing views on a number of issues.
    Not really the point. Playing ‘Garbage Man’ is tedious and takes a great deal of time. Already hinting that you’re going to hand the part off to your understudy is idiotic.