Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 China's olympic gymnasts 
    ... are not the required 16 yrs old. Not even close. I am watching and some of these girls are probably 12-13 max. The IOC said "all of their Chinese passports show they are at least 16."

Cuz yea, I am sure the Chinese government wouldn't fake their passports or anything.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    ... are not the required 16 yrs old. Not even close. I am watching and some of these girls are probably 12-13 max. The IOC said "all of their Chinese passports show they are at least 16."

Cuz yea, I am sure the Chinese government wouldn't fake their passports or anything.
    Several of the US girls look like they could pass for 12 or 13 and look they are the same age as the Chinese.

noonwitch
    The one girl I saw looked about 10.

When the commentators brought that up last night, I wondered how anyone could tell at all. They are all so stunted and tiny. One of the girls on the Chinese team is actually 20 but looks 16.

And did you catch that 33-year-old German gymnast who looks like a 12-year-old boy?

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    When the commentators brought that up last night, I wondered how anyone could tell at all. They are all so stunted and tiny. One of the girls on the Chinese team is actually 20 but looks 16.

And did you catch that 33-year-old German gymnast who looks like a 12-year-old boy?
    Maybe the German gymnast is a 12 year old boy. :D

Haven't watched the gymnastics yet. I don't care for the sports with the subjective judging. The gymnastics judging reminds me of ice skating and dog show judging. There seems to be no objective standards in some of those sports.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Maybe the German gymnast is a 12 year old boy. :D
    Funny, I have watched almost none of the Olympics but I saw NBC's little story on her:

”GERMAN gymnastics veteran Oksana Chusovitina proved that age is no barrier as she stormed into the final of the women’s vault at 33 years of age.
    Chusovitina, appearing at her fifth Olympics for her third team, qualified fourth to give herself a real shot at a podium finish next Sunday.Chusovitina is the oldest competitor in the gymnastics by some margin. But she said: “It’s valuable for any sportsperson to have motivation, regardless of age. I don’t feel 33-years-old and I look young don’t I?”The gymnast first turned out for unified Russia and won team gold at Barcelona in 1992. She represented her native Uzbekistan from 1993, before switching to Germany in 2006 in a bid to get better treatment for her son, who has leukaemia.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The one girl I saw looked about 10.
    They give up a lot things we took for granted (normal schooling, friends, dating, eating, growing etc...) at that age for the love of their sport
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

A severely underweight athlete won China's 11th gold medal today after going without eating evening meals for a year.

Wang Xin, who is 4ft 6in and weighs 4st 4lb, has long been billed as one of China's top hopefuls in diving.

Today the 16-year-old and partner Chen Ruolin, also 16, took victory in the synchronised 10m platform event at Beijing's Water Cube.

They scored the top ranking dive in every round, claiming a victory with 363.54 points, almost 30 more than Australia's silver medallists Briony Cole and Melissa Wu.

Wang has a body mass index of 14.5 - far below the healthy recommended level of between 18 and 25.

She was introduced to diving aged nine and has proved to be the most promising Chinese diver since Fu Mingxia, who has four Olympic golds under her belt.

But the world champion, who is known among her team-mates as the "stick insect", has previously admitted she had not eaten anything in the evenings for the past 12 months.

Wang, who celebrated her birthday yesterday and will next compete in the 10m individual diving event, said: "For the past year or so, I haven't eaten anything after dark, except for the occasional postcompetition snack."

She would not say whether she volunteered for the evening fast or if she was following coaches' orders.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ear/article.do

This may help to explain the apparent youth of the gymnasts.

Goldwater
    No pain no game.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    This was such an emotional moment!

Games' oldest female gymnast wins silver

BEIJING (AFP) — The oldest female gymnast at the Beijing Olympics stormed to a silver medal on the vault Sunday against rivals who were not even born when she began competing internationally.

Oksana Chusovitina powered her way to a podium place at the positively veteran age, in terms of women's gymnastics, of 33.

That gave Chusovitina, now representing Germany, her first individual Olympic medal in what was her fifth Games, having appeared for three teams.

She made her debut at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, where she won team gold for the Unified team of ex-Soviet Union states.
    After representing the Unified team, Chusovitina switched to her native Uzbekistan from 1993.

She then made her most recent move to Germany in 2005 because she needed top medical treatment for her son Alisher's leukaemia, which she says has proved successful.

"This medal is for my son," she said. "I can't say how happy I am."
    She was on the same team as the FATHER of Nastia Liukin!