Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sadly SR not will be getting the vehicle of his choice, the Hummer, for his birthday.

. :D
    Boo on you. SR needs the Hummer H3 Alpha model. They are on sale now with 0 interest for 72 months. The one with the 240hp engine gets around 14 mpg. Look at this way; when they quit making them, it will be a collectors item. Plus, they are made in Shreveport LA, and we need to keep the economy rolling in the Bayou state. :)

If not a new one, there are plenty of used certified ones on sale that are dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've had my Saturn for nine years, with no problems. I'll never have a car payment again.
    Same for me, no problems.

I've had my Saturn for nine years, with no problems. I'll never have a car payment again.
    Same here. I will gladly put some money into maintenance and repairs, rather than a car payment. Count me as another person who hhhhates car payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Same here. I will gladly put some money into maintenance and repairs, rather than a car payment. Count me as another person who hhhhates car payments.
    Me, too, but I'm driving on borrowed time. A 1999 BMW with no extended warranty is a time bomb. When things break, they're very expensive. On the other hand, I have no car payments. Never had one, as I got such a deal. :D I bought it outright (pre-owned certified car). I'd never be able to afford a new one like that, so maybe I should just keep getting it repaired.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Boo on you. SR needs the Hummer H3 Alpha model. They are on sale now with 0 interest for 72 months.
    How incredibly STUPID would someone have to BE to pay for a depreciating asset for SIX YEARS?? :eek: A five year car loan is idiocy enough!

How incredibly STUPID would someone have to BE to pay for a depreciating asset for SIX YEARS?? :eek: A five year car loan is idiocy enough!
    Not stupid, probably just not with enough assets to pay a higher monthly payment, so try to spread out the payments.

Even with the zero interest, they'd still be stuck with payments on a car that might not last the length of the loan. It's happened to both sons---one who bought a new Mercedes and found that it had an above average incidence of problems. He paid big bucks to get out of the lease. The other son bought a previously owned car on a 60 month loan. He still has about 18 months on the loan and the car is junk. He's having to stick with it. I just hope the thing stays together til the loan is over. It's a Dodge van.

I guess I'm too practical, believe in only buying something I can afford. In fact I'm one of those nuts who save money for a while and pay cash for a car. I hate payments.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Power CUer
    Not stupid, probably just not with enough assets to pay a higher monthly payment, so try to spread out the payments.
    If you don't have "enough assets", maybe that's a little CLUE that you can't afford the car. Just a guess, from someone who can buy any car she wants for cash - what do I know?

Power CUer
    one who bought a new Mercedes and found that it had an above average incidence of problems. He paid big bucks to get out of the lease.
    First you say he bought it, then you say he leased it. It's one or the other, not both. If only he had a mommy who taught him about money - specifically, that leasing is the dumbe$t way po$$ible to get a car. :D

If you don't have "enough assets", maybe that's a little CLUE that you can't afford the car. Just a guess, from someone who can buy any car she wants for cash - what do I know?
    We're agreeing. I'm just explaining the logic of folks who get into these things. I never do payments for anything---from home improvement projects to cars. That's the path to financial disaster, how the mortgage people preyed on people. I think financial planning classes should be mandatory in school for the kids, if parents can't teach their kids. But then I think of some of the folks teaching and think maybe that's not such a good idea, either.

"

First you say he bought it, then you say he leased it. It's one or the other, not both. If only he had a mommy who taught him about money - specifically, that leasing is the dumbe$t way po$$ible to get a car. :D
    Sorry, it's early and I have to get going, have a tough day at work facing me. I meant that he had "purchased" it, was making payments. He usually leased cars, but thought the perceived quality of the Mercedes justified purchasing it.

I have never leased a car.

Hey, can't help it if the sons don't emulate their mom. It's that leading the horse to water syndrome. :D