Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 I am one of those Hillary supporters that will vote McCain 
    I've had it with DU, with the immature and often bizarre behavior expressed towards women over there. Even worse is the assumption that if you think Obama is inexperienced, you are some sort of racist.

This was my parting thread at that place:

http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6240654

Since I'll be voting for McCain in the primary, I thought I'd come over and see what you all were about.

About me: moderate Dem. Fiscal conservative. Social liberal.

I want habeas corpus reinstated. I want eminent domain decimated, especially now that the government can take your land and sell it to another (rich or well-connected) private buyer. I believe the eminent domain decision made us all renters, since our land can be taken away at any time. I believe that habeas corpus and the right to property ownership are the cornerstones of American democracy (that which we inherited from Britain) and their suspension destroys our very real freedom.

I am for the Second amendment and believe that victims of violent crime (rape, armed robbery, attempted murder, etc.) should be allowed to carry concealed weapons if the criminal involved has threatened their lives and is on parole.

I am very pro-choice. No talking me out of that one. I am very feminist in that I want the right to have power, make money, own property, have control over my life, and help those whom I think need it. I do not have children by choice, but feel that if you want 12 kids (and can take care of them) that's your choice.

I hope you won't mind if I come here from time to time.

Elspeth.

Goldwater
    Welcome Elspeth, I didn't actually think Hillary supporters that would crossover to McCain existed, but I guess the moderate thing works wonders with you guys.

Actually, your positions are similar to mine, except you probably don't want to shrink the government like a lot of us do.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself round these here parts.

Welcome Elspeth.

Question for you: Why should you only be allowed to carry a weapon after you've been a victim of a crime?

Thank you. I appreciate it.

When it comes to government, I think it has an important role. What bothers me most is its inefficiency. I know people at high levels in certain agencies that work very hard and are really good, but the get undermined by both political appointees above them, and some of the workers below them who are basically taking up space. THere are good people in government, but they often get overwhelmed by the time wasters, the politicos, etc.

I have another friend who is a contractor for a government agency. She does all the GSers work for them, gets no credit and does not have the job security. The contractors used to get paid more, but, now, that's not even true. My friend says that one GS15 she knows sits around reading science fiction all day, running out the clock until retirement.

In the end, what they need to do is go through and find all of the hardworking Gsers and contractors and keep them. Then, they need to get rid of the rest. They could then hire some new people, and a lot of fewer of them, and you'd get smaller AND more efficient government.

That's my view of it, having friends in different agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Welcome Elspeth.

Question for you: Why should you only be allowed to carry a weapon after you've been a victim of a crime?
    I'll tell why. I worry that concealed weapons for everyone would be misused. I am in California and watch road rage on a daily basis. I can't imagine what it would be like if someone lost it on the 405 freeway during rush hour and just started shooting someone who cut him off. That's my fear.

But, I know there is an argument for carrying concealed weapons, especially as crime gets worse. My grandfather ran a business in the 1940s and he would close up shop at night and carry deposits to the overnight depository at the bank. He carried a gun with him every night for protection.

In the end, I have no problem with responsible people having weapons and having the ability to carry them. The problem is that so many people are irresponsible. I just don't trust that a minor incident at a bar or a gas station won't blow up into a big one because some irresponsible people have weapons.

That said, I have gun owners in my family and they feel safer with them. They cannot carry them because of the state they live in, but they have them in their homes.

Elspeth.

gator
    You are very welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    You are very welcome here.
    Thank you. I am just browing and trying to see what discussions are going on. After the wars at DU, your kindness is very much appreciated.

Will this political thread be staying in the lounge?

Did I post in the wrong forum?

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I've had it with DU, with the immature and often bizarre behavior expressed towards women over there. Even worse is the assumption that if you think Obama is inexperienced, you are some sort of racist.

This was my parting thread at that place:

http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6240654

Since I'll be voting for McCain in the primary, I thought I'd come over and see what you all were about.

About me: moderate Dem. Fiscal conservative. Social liberal.

I want habeas corpus reinstated. I want eminent domain decimated, especially now that the government can take your land and sell it to another (rich or well-connected) private buyer. I believe the eminent domain decision made us all renters, since our land can be taken away at any time. I believe that habeas corpus and the right to property ownership are the cornerstones of American democracy (that which we inherited from Britain) and their suspension destroys our very real freedom.

I am for the Second amendment and believe that victims of violent crime (rape, armed robbery, attempted murder, etc.) should be allowed to carry concealed weapons if the criminal involved has threatened their lives and is on parole.

I am very pro-choice. No talking me out of that one. I am very feminist in that I want the right to have power, make money, own property, have control over my life, and help those whom I think need it. I do not have children by choice, but feel that if you want 12 kids (and can take care of them) that's your choice.

I hope you won't mind if I come here from time to time.

Elspeth.

Elspeth I bid you a hearty welcome!!!!!! I hope you enjoy it here and find it a place you can call your home on the internet.

Just so you know, Habeas Corpus has not been taken away. There is no need to reinstate something that is already intact. That is just one of the lies they fed you over there.

When have you not been able to have power, make money,own property , help who you like and have control over your life and why in the hell would you think a conservative would want to deny those rights to you???? We FIGHT for those rights for ALL people. SHeese what kind of crap are they spewing over there???

As for the pro-choice issue, we will just have to disagree. Some of us believe that it is a life and it is a human life. We simply cannot justify killing a human being for the convenience of another. We can do better than that.

Again, WELCOME and enjoy!!!