Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Media Craze -- 'Eco-Theology' 
    New Media Craze -- 'Eco-Theology': Using Oil Spill + Religion to Promote Green Agenda
    By Jeff Poor (Bio | Archive)
    Wed, 07/14/2010 - 09:48 ET

"Where would Jesus drill?"

That sounds almost like it could be the opening of a tree hugger's bad joke, but instead it's the lede in a recent Associated Press story written by John Flesher about a so-called "Green religion movement."

Efforts to make environmentalism its own sort of religion have been underway for some time now. But the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has sparked a new push to take what has been traditionally a political phenomenon, the American environmentalist movement, and make it part of the religious spectrum.

The Spill as God's Message

The "greening of religion" can be found in the most peculiar places. In May, CNN founder Ted Turner offered the most blatant example when he told CNNMoney.com's Poppy Harlow that the oil spill was a message from God.

"I'm not a real religious person, but I'm somewhat religious," Turner said in an interview aired May 17. "I'm just wondering if God's telling us he doesn't want us to drill offshore, because it is sure setting back offshore drilling."

And Turner didn't just stop there - he said the Lord was working to tell us not to use coal as well with a recent rash of mine disasters.

"And right before that we had the coal mine disaster in West Virginia where we lost 29 miners," Turner continued. "And last week - or two days ago, the Chinese lost 29 miners, too, in another mine disaster in China. Seems like there is one there every week. Maybe the Lord's tired of having the mountains of West Virginia, the tops knocked off of them so they can get more coal. I think maybe we ought to just leave the coal in the ground and go with solar and wind power and geothermal where it's applicable."
    Turner's comments were similar to those by other extremists who argued that the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and soldiers' deaths in war are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality or other sins. The difference, of course, is that the media vilify the "conservatives" who suggest disasters are God's message while they have embraced the environmentalist theology of liberals like Turner.

'Eco-Theology' Opportunism

The Associated Press story, published July 7, saw the Gulf spill not as an unfortunate event, but instead as a "rallying cry" to bring people of faith on board with the "green" agenda.

"Where would Jesus drill?" John Flesher wrote. "Religious leaders who consider environmental protection a godly mission are making the Gulf of Mexico oil spill a rallying cry, hoping it inspires people of faith to support cleaner energy while changing their personal lives to consume less and contemplate more."
    I believe Jesus would drill wherever it was convenient to a refinery and a local port.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-po...#ixzz0tfuhDsK7

I think we should use Ted as an example of the Lord telling us not to watch so much television.

And here I thought Al Gore invented it with his global warming bull shit. Hell, the way people who believe in it is almost cult like.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

A lot of religious people see the Earth as part of God's creation, and a sacred thing in itself that we should respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I believe Jesus would drill wherever it was convenient to a refinery and a local port.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-po...#ixzz0tfuhDsK7
    lol Jesus would do whatever maximized profits I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    lol Jesus would do whatever maximized profits I'm sure.
    I always get a kick out of fucktard unbelievers telling us about our faith.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

A lot of religious people see the Earth as part of God's creation, and a sacred thing in itself that we should respect.
    To hell with it, make it into a parking lot!

God also gave man dominion over the Earth. If you're going to spout religion, at least get it right.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Sonnabend
    You have no understanding of what the word respect means

Sod off, swampy.

God created us to be stewards over the Earth and all that is in the Earth. We are to wisely use all the resources that He has put at our disposal and to responsibly care for creation. Some people, however, have elevated nature and creation to deity status and worship the created rather than the Creator. This is the idolatry of radical (and in some cases not so radical) ecological and animal rights movements. Man is the apex of God's creation but some are only content with the demotion of man to the status of animal making man a byproduct of nature and not the caretaker of nature that God intended man to be.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis