Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Does Horror Amuse Or Scare You? The answer's in your genes. 
    People's feelings toward fear may be summed up in a single gene, explaining why some people love horror movies and some people hate them, scientists now believe.

The gene affects a chemical in the brain and is linked to anxiety and people with one version of the gene are more easily startled when viewing unpleasant pictures that the ones with the other.

The first set find it harder to keep their emotions in check and may be more prone to anxiety disorders.

Known as COMT, the gene comes in two versions - Val158 and Met158 - weakens the effect of a signalling chemical in the brain linked to emotion.

Researchers measured the "startle response" of 96 women with different variations of the gene by attaching electrodes to their eye muscles.

When a person is startled because of an emotional response, the eyes automatically blink.

The volunteers were shown sets of pictures that were emotionally pleasant (such as animals or babies), neutral (such as an electric plug or hair dryer) or aversive (such as weapons or injured victims at a crime scene).

The results, scientists found, was that people carrying two copies of the Met158 version were significantly more startled by the "aversive" pictures than those who had either two Val158 genes or one copy of each.
    link

Pass the hockey mask ...

Goldwater
    Horror movies generally suck because they don't scare you, they either try to gross you out or they just try to make you jump with sudden movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Horror movies generally suck because they don't scare you, they either try to gross you out or they just try to make you jump with sudden movements.
    I think that the scariest horror movies are not necessarily the ones with the goriest effects, the psychological terror is much worse than blood and thunder.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    There are plenty of great horror movies that did neither of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    There are plenty of great horror movies that did neither of these things.
    28 Days Later..... perfect example. Realism is much scairier.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    28 Days Later..... perfect example. Realism is much scairier.
    Oh yeah.

Also movies like The Exorcist, The Ring, and others. Jaws did have a bunch of "stuff that jumps out at you" elements, but it was a very scary movie despite that. I liked House of 1000 Corpses, the horror wasn't based on gore and stjoay, but there was plenty of it anyways.

I was never really scared by horror movies. Now I just think they're a joke. The gore visual and sound effects are just silly.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

I prefer to be both scared and amused. :D

I don't understand anyone's fascination with horror.
    I have seen a few of the classics Psycho, The Exorcist (that may be all) and just had nightmares and felt sick. Why do you want to see these things?

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I don't understand anyone's fascination with horror.
    I have seen a few of the classics Psycho, The Exorcist (that may be all) and just had nightmares and felt sick. Why do you want to see these things?
    Because being scared when there is absolutely no danger at all is kind of fun! :D