Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    I was just stating what the American people wanted, thats all.
    In how many of those elections did a winner get more than a plurality of the American population? You can't claim that the American people wanted the democrat when less than half of the people voted for him.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    So what? Fuck those people. If they dont care enough to vote they shouldn't be bitching.
    And if democrats don't have the brains to understand the electoral College - its purpose and its point - then fuck them. They shouldn't be bitching. It's never conservatives calling for the dismemberment of the electoral college - only ever the fucktards on the left.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

the American people gave the Democrats more votes than the Republicans.

In 4 of the last 5 Presidential elections the American people wanted the Democrats in the WH.

Just stating the facts, thats all.

Do you really think the American people will give the GOP the votes this time ? ...of course not.

There is ONE reason the stats are not 5 of the last 5 ...and that reason is 9-11.

Discuss:
    I am just saying what the voters wanted.

When the President wins an election , he doesn't cater to the EC you fool.

It matters what the people want.
    So which one is it? NJCardfan brought the numbers that the voters didn't want the Democrats in 4 of 5 elections, and I brought the fact that only 1/2 of eligible people vote. Have you some facts, polls, surveys anything saying that enough of that 50% of people who didn't vote wanted the Dims in but were just too lazy/ignorant/stoned to drag their butts to a polling place? Or are you just trying to change your semantics to avoid points you can't defend?
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    So which one is it? NJCardfan brought the numbers that the voters didn't want the Democrats in 4 of 5 elections, and I brought the fact that only 1/2 of eligible people vote. Have you some facts, polls, surveys anything saying that enough of that 50% of people who didn't vote wanted the Dims in but were just too lazy/ignorant/stoned to drag their butts to a polling place? Or are you just trying to change your semantics to avoid points you can't defend?
    What this idiot doesn't understand is that voting trends are cyclical. The vote tends to swing one way or another. The difference being is that, with the exception of 2000 when the Dem got the popular vote but lost the election, when the GOP wins, it's a overwhelming victory. Nixon in '68 was as close as one can get and Wallace actually took voted from Humphrey. Not to mention that if RFK isn't killed, he wins easily. But '72, 80, 84, 88, and 04, the GOP won rather handily(Bush 41 defeated Dukakis by the same margin that Obama defeated McCain yet no one would exclaim Bush 41's win a landslide yet electorally it was). When Democrats win, it's always a close election with 2008 being the exception. Both 92 and 96, a majority of voters didn't want Clinton but I can understand his being re-elected because, being the objective person I am, he wasn't a bad president on the whole. This is why Gore did so well but Owl couldn't even win his home state. The key is the economy. Whenever the economy goes to shit, no matter which party is in office, that party does not win. '76 was a minor exception because there were more pressing matters that sunk the GOP but Ford still had a good showing in '76 and nearly won. Bush 43 got re-elected based on security. That and the economy was booming at the time. Clinton won because the economy was in flux in '91 and '92 and was re-elected in a booming economy. Had we not had the dotcom boom in the mid 90's and if the GOP ran out a stronger candidate(Alexander from Tenn. and Wilson out of Cali were much better candidates IMO) the election might have turned out differently. This is why the Democrats are facing a defeat this November. I see the GOP gaining a lot of seats. Not enough for a majority but enough to make an impact. In the Senate, however, they just might close the gap enough to where it's fairly even. This will set Obama up for a 2012 problem if the economy doesn't improve. That's what killed Carter and it might kill Obama's 2nd term. If there is a Democratic primary, that will tell whether or not the Dems are in real trouble in 2012.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    If someone is so ignorant of the issues that they choose to sit out elections, I'd prefer that to the alternative of uninformed people lining up in droves to express their preference for the candidate with the best smile, hottest wife or most fawning media coverage.
    Um...that's what about 60% of the voting electorate does anyway.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

NJCardFan:
    There's lots of things Satanticanus doesn't understand, like why he gets made fun of round these parts. Just trying to remind him that it's because he can't (won't) debate his way out of a paper bag.

BTW, might that swing in the votes be aleviated by a genuine third party/independant presence, or do we need to put the Republicans through the fire and skim the dross out? A question worthy of it's own thread, I know, but your stats brought it to mind.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!