Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 On the evilness of... LAWNS! 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3780329

catnhatnh (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-11-08 10:09 PM
    Original message
    Wasting water so you can waste gasoline....
    ...is pretty much the definition of a lawn. Both resources are finite and under pressure. Every gallon played off against the other denies something vital to people who will suffer from the lack of one or the other. These days, when I see a "well tended" patch of grass (watered daily and cut weekly) I realize that more than a piece of land is getting hosed. Someone remind me again about the virtues of a voluptuous lawn?

Atman (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-11-08 10:12 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. Lawns are TOTALLY artificial, useless and wasteful.
    Take a walk in "nature." Go into the woods, walk through a meadow, whatever. When was the last time you saw a "lawn" in nature? Ain't no such beast. Lawns are totally man-made, and devastating to our planet.

"Devastating our planet!!!!!!" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Banned
    These morons did not even mention fertilization, weed and thatch control .

How does one waste water? Has someone found out how do destroy matter and didnt tell me? If the water in my watershed goes unused, it flows down the Merrimac River into the Atlantic, then eventually turns to vapor, condenses, and falls as rain or snow. Then the process starts again. So any water that ends up on a lawn will, with absolute certainty, in time end up back in the ocean. So what the fuck are all those dickhead hippie commie sissies talking about?

Guys, Moonbats have to find something eveyday to be pissed off about, no matter how stupid it is.

Tomorrow it'll be pine scented oderizers make the albinos nervous, or there aren't enough left handed people watching the OC in their underwear, or a petition to allow chipmonks the right to drive unicycles in the Gay Pride parade.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

The earth is two thirds water, the most abundant finite resource imaginable. Also the earth is basically a closed ecology so no water is ever lost (or so little that it doesn't matter). It always stays with in water cycle in one form or another and goes on to be used again and again.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

The DUmmies are under the impression that if 1 gallon of water isn't used in Colorado, that gallon will magically appear in the Sudan and slake the thirst of a family of 5.

This is what happens when people are scientifically illiterate.

The dummy is right on the power wastage, though.

Grass is one of the more useless crops...no food value at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    The dummy is right on the power wastage, though.

Grass is one of the more useless crops...no food value at all.
    It's actually a high value food for dairy cattle, dairy goats, free range chickens, and other domestic animals. I own shares in a grass-fed dairy operation.

Also, it worth noting that the Dummie's argument is totally pointless. Although it's common in my area, most people in single-family residences don't grow food in their yards, let alone grow crops in front of their house. Lawns are visually attractive, provide a safe play surface for kids and pets, and do a lot to offset the heat sink effect in urban areas.

Just because you can't instantly eat something doesn't mean that something doesn't have a high level of purely practical value. ;)

I wonder the same thing about leaving water to run in the sink. It just goes back to the water treatment plant. The only loss is that I might have to pay more on the water bill.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    If the DUmmies hate lawns, I bet they absolutely LOVE golf courses. :D