Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    The dummy is right on the power wastage, though.

Grass is one of the more useless crops...no food value at all.
    The chinch bugs in my neighbor's yard would disagree with you but they are to busy eating his lawn.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned - Not really Theo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's actually a high value food for dairy cattle, dairy goats, free range chickens, and other domestic animals. I own shares in a grass-fed dairy operation.

Also, it worth noting that the Dummie's argument is totally pointless. Although it's common in my area, most people in single-family residences don't grow food in their yards, let alone grow crops in front of their house. Lawns are visually attractive, provide a safe play surface for kids and pets, and do a lot to offset the heat sink effect in urban areas.

Just because you can't instantly eat something doesn't mean that something doesn't have a high level of purely practical value. ;)
    Dams are a major reason that so many of our rivers are unhealthy. Many have insufficienet flows/flushes to keep the river clean and the wildlife & habit suffers.

There are very few if any real conservation measures in most communities and until people in places like Denver :p and Salt Lake City stop growing Kentucky Blue Grass where it was never meant to be I will continue oppose all future dewatering of OUR rivers.

American Whitewater

We are charged with be good stewards of God's gifts.
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-12-2008 at 03:28 PM.

I can't speak for lawns in general, but in Southern California where we have a water shortage, lawns are not a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
    How does one waste water? Has someone found out how do destroy matter and didnt tell me? If the water in my watershed goes unused, it flows down the Merrimac River into the Atlantic, then eventually turns to vapor, condenses, and falls as rain or snow. Then the process starts again. So any water that ends up on a lawn will, with absolute certainty, in time end up back in the ocean. So what the fuck are all those dickhead hippie commie sissies talking about?
    Good for you. You're the first person I've heard echo this fact.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Hearing them rant against lawns reminds me of an article I once read about the ecoterrorist group Earth First (Spit). It said that among the activities that those Earth First loons take part in is a ceremony called the 'Council of All Beings.' In this ludicrous ceremony, members take a natural object, such as a mouse or a tree or a blade of grass, meditate on it until they seem to feel they have "become" that mouse or stem of grass, then they get up on stage and tell all the other Earth First nutjobs about the horrors of mousetraps and lawnmowers and how it feels to be oppressed by those mean old humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Dams are a major reason that so many of our rivers are unhealthy. Many have insufficienet flows/flushes to keep the river clean and the wildlife & habit suffers.

There are very few if any real conservation measures in most communities and until people in places like Denver :p and Salt Lake City stop growing Kentucky Blue Grass where it was never meant to be I will continue oppose all future dewatering of OUR rivers.

American Whitewater

We are charged with be good stewards of God's gifts.
    Or places like California could stop buying up water from Colorado. Reducing water usage sounds all noble until you realize that water is a very renewable resource (out here at least). Every time people in Colorado have reduced usage, the water companies have raised rates. When dry conditions end (and they always do), the water companies never rebate any fees or lower any rates. There is no place to store water out here so once the reservoirs fill, the water companies sell the extra to other states but never cut part of that check back to the communities using xeriscape and low-flow appliances.

They will not even let us use gray water or cistern systems. Every single drop of water in the state belongs to the water companies. If they get to jack me over in terms of rates, I guess I can use that water as way I please. ;)

[/rant]

Patent Member
    Every time people in Colorado have reduced usage, the water companies have raised rates.
    Of course, because then they could sell more water to California at a higher profit. That increases the value of their product, so they have to charge more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    then they get up on stage and tell all the other Earth First nutjobs about the horrors of mousetraps
    ...then they release the mouse which gets promptly eaten by an owl.

Banned - Not really Theo
    Or places like California could stop buying up water from Colorado. Reducing water usage sounds all noble until you realize that water is a very renewable resource (out here at least). Every time people in Colorado have reduced usage, the water companies have raised rates. When dry conditions end (and they always do), the water companies never rebate any fees or lower any rates. There is no place to store water out here so once the reservoirs fill, the water companies sell the extra to other states but never cut part of that check back to the communities using xeriscape and low-flow appliances.

They will not even let us use gray water or cistern systems. Every single drop of water in the state belongs to the water companies. If they get to jack me over in terms of rates, I guess I can use that water as way I please. ;)

[/rant]
    I just kayaked a canyon last weekend Waterton Link that if Denver water had its way, they were delayed once, or has its way in the future will be a reservoir for Denverites to water their grass. Denver gets 15 inches of rain a year and now they want my 15 inches by taking the canyon I kayaked this weekend and plugging it with concrete. One day I'll stand at the edge of another reservoir and realize that under hundreds of feet of water there was once a pristine canyon, gloriously wild, sun-drenched, filled with butterflies, and towering ponderosa pines. I guess I can show children the pictures of what once was our heritage. :mad:

Each Denverite uses two hundred and twenty-one gallons of water a day and if the residents of Aurora alone planted buffalo grass instead of Kentucky bluegrass Denver wouldn't need a new reservoir.

I get madder than hell about it when I go to Denver and watch water running down the streets flushing antifreeze, oil, and cigarette butts into what's left of the South Platte River.The fish lose, other animals lose out and the vegetation loses.

[/rant]
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-12-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: sp

Lydia Leftcoast (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-11-08 10:15 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. I especially hate the two-acre suburban lawn
    Edited on Mon Aug-11-08 10:16 PM by Lydia Leftcoast
    So you buy this huge house on this huge piece of lawn, and then you have to spend all your spare time taking care of it.

When do you get to LIVE
    ?
    Somehow, I doubt that Lydia will never have to face that problem. :D

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    These morons did not even mention fertilization, weed and thatch control .
    Dumping a little used motor oil down the mole holes is the quickest way to get rid of them damn varmints. A thin coat on top of any standing water you have kills the mosquito larvae also. :)