Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I've already been getting invites from past leagues, I think I even got one in June! :eek:

I'm more of a baseball fan, so I don't quite get into FFB until it gets really close to the season.

And for the record, I'll get the league started here sometime soon.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I've played once. Year before last, I got in a league with some old Navy buddies and won the whole thing. I wasn't there for the actual draft, so I listed my players to be picked by the computer.

1st: Michael Turner, I knew Matt Ryan was entering his rookie year and Turner would get LOTS of carries.

2nd: Drew Brees, wide open offense with many weapons around him.

3rd: Roddy White, he was the only big play reciever. Therefore, he was the rookie's safety blanket.

I also took 2 good defenses so I could switch them out depending on who they were playing that week.

I took LaRon McClain from the Ravens and a back from the Giants (can't remember the name Ward something or something Ward) since they were both short yardage backs to stick it in the endzone.

I had Antonio Gates at tight end, which was a given.

This worked to perfection. I have a buddy who adopted the 2 defense strategy and said it easily gave him two more wins.

Of course, that was my only time playing so I don't know if my drafting strategy would consistently work.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

It's not always best to have the strongest fantasy players on a Dvision champion team.

Most leagues end before the NFL regular season.
    My experience has shown that if your league has it's playoffs and championship game during the 14-16 week, you may get burned because the teams rest the starters.

One team I had last year was 11-2 last year and had thumped most of my competition. I lost in the first round because Indy decided to rest Peyton Manning.

This destroyed me in two leagues when I was above everyone else.

In another league I was 7-5 going into the playoffs and Aaron Rodgers, Chris Johnson (not on a playoff team), and a solid defense carried me in the Championship over a guy who had only 2 losses.

Believe me, the best isn't always what you need in the home stretch.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I've been doing this for over 20 years(first season was in 1987) and I've learned a few things along the way. For starters, always take the best available players in the first round. RB, if possible, should be your first choice but if the point making backs are gone(Johnson-Tenn, Gore-SF, Peterson-Min), go for one of the high ranking QB's. Peyton Manning is a popular choice but in the past I've taken high ranking sleepers. Aaron Rogers last season(and again this season in a Yahoo league), Drew Brees, Kurt Warner(I got him in 2008 as a free agent) and Matt Schaub who did wonders for me last season as well. The romantic picks like Manning and Brady are good too but it's best to take a QB who has a decent but not great running game behind him. This is why Warner worked out so well for me. Avoid the rookies. Ryan in '08 was an exception but usually rookies like Stafford last season are OK but only as a backup or if someone gets hurt. Then try to get that QB's WR. For example, if you get Ryan, try to get Roddy White or Jenkins but not both. Good TE's are hard to find so you have to be quick with the Gonzales' or Celek's or Clarks. Kickers and defense I take last. And believe me, 1 kicker is as good as the next. Really. Not important at all.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I've been doing this for over 20 years(first season was in 1987) and I've learned a few things along the way. For starters, always take the best available players in the first round. RB, if possible, should be your first choice but if the point making backs are gone(Johnson-Tenn, Gore-SF, Peterson-Min), go for one of the high ranking QB's. Peyton Manning is a popular choice but in the past I've taken high ranking sleepers. Aaron Rogers last season(and again this season in a Yahoo league), Drew Brees, Kurt Warner(I got him in 2008 as a free agent) and Matt Schaub who did wonders for me last season as well. The romantic picks like Manning and Brady are good too but it's best to take a QB who has a decent but not great running game behind him. This is why Warner worked out so well for me. Avoid the rookies. Ryan in '08 was an exception but usually rookies like Stafford last season are OK but only as a backup or if someone gets hurt. Then try to get that QB's WR. For example, if you get Ryan, try to get Roddy White or Jenkins but not both. Good TE's are hard to find so you have to be quick with the Gonzales' or Celek's or Clarks. Kickers and defense I take last. And believe me, 1 kicker is as good as the next. Really. Not important at all.
    Somewhat similar to mine.:D
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    And for the record, I'll get the league started here sometime soon.
    Fantasy and Pick 'Em.

Whipping jennys ass in pick 'em makes the winter pass much more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    All I know is I want my crown back.:mad:

I'll give you a chance.:)

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker13 View Post
    I'll give you a chance.:)

Better bring your best game!!! :D
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I'm drafting Stafford, Best and Johnson.

Stop taking every available Lion you homer and you might have a chance.

I still can't believe how far you rode Michigan St. in tourney pick 'em this year. Classic.