Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ethics unveils 13 Rangel charges 
    Ethics unveils 13 Rangel charges

By JOHN BRESNAHAN & JONATHAN ALLEN & RICHARD E. COHEN | 7/29/10 2:36 PM EDT

A scathing House ethics report charges that Rep. Charles Rangel, an iconic New York powerbroker, violated 13 ethics and federal regulations covering public officials, including pressuring lobbyists and corporations to cough up money for a New York college building bearing Rangel’s name.

In releasing a "Statement of Alleged Violation" of against Rangel, investigators drew a portrait of a veteran lawmaker who used his office and staffers for his own personal benefit and aggrandizement, repeatedly running afoul of House financial disclosure rules. He now faces an ethics “trial” unless he’s able to cut a deal with the ethics committee.

"We must regain the public's trust," Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), the lead Republican on the ethics subcommittee "jury" hearing the case. "

The headliner allegations are that he improperly solicited money from corporate officials and lobbyists for the Charles B. Rangel Public Policy Center in New York; that he failed to disclose hundreds of dollars of income and assets on financial disclosure forms; that he maintained multiple rent-stabilized apartments in violation of New York City rules; and failed to pay income taxes on a Dominican island resort home.

McCaul said that, if proven, the allegations amounted to "multiple violations of House rules and federal statutes."

Rangel is also accused of violating House gift rules and congressional franking regulations, and the ethics subcommittee says his conduct reflects “discredit on the House.”

More at the link.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz0v6g5hGjZ

most ethical congress . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    most ethical congress . . . .
    Heh, yeah.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Banned
    Let's see if these sorry Democraps have the balls to expel him. Probably will circle the wagon is my guess.

The Feds need to try him for tax evasion on multiple counts.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Let's see if these sorry Democraps have the balls to expel him. Probably will circle the wagon is my guess.

The Feds need to try him for tax evasion on multiple counts.
    My money is on him resigning.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

And Congress has recessed till September.......................
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    My money is on him resigning.
    :mad: NO!!! We all need to call his office and demand that he fight the charges! He is the most PERFECT mascot of the most ethical congress we'll ever get!

Banned
    :mad: NO!!! We all need to call his office and demand that he fight the charges! He is the most PERFECT mascot of the most ethical congress we'll ever get!
    If he was a white male, I would agree. Liberals, Congressional blacks, Obumbler, Jessie and Al will play the race card.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If he was a white male, I would agree. Liberals, Congressional blacks, Obumbler, Jessie and Al will play the race card.
    And how effective is the race card with swing voters lately??

And how effective is the race card with swing voters lately??
    With it being used about 12 times a week since the election, it has lost some of it's shock factor.